Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No limit on editing / Deleting posts

No limit on editing / Deleting posts

I've been wondering about this for a while, but I'd like to suggest an unlimited amount of time to Edit and or Delete post you have made. This would help newbies who become good members out too. I think it would work well. When they start to mature, they can look back on the whiney posts they made and just delete them. And so can I, for the ones I made.

Heh heh heh....are you talking about the one that is in that old tech humor thread someone bumbed up? http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=235825

haahhahaahhahahahaha, that was beautiful, thats some funny stuff man. id give you points but...iv never been given any so i dont think itll let me.
    That one must have been posted with in days of your joining 'AO'......and look at you now:
    Top 10 AntiPoint Earners:
    » gore

» Negative
    » phishphreek80
    » Tedob1
    » thehorse13
    » KorpDeath
    » HTRegz
    » MsMittens
    » Tiger Shark
    » valhallen
    That was back at the time I was playing lurker and just watching you greats (lol) take off.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Well I generally would tend to agree that unlimited editing/deleting would be nice but this has been raised before many times and I think you seen some of the reasons why not.
    here's one fairly recent suggestion by pooh
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=259422

It does all come down to accountablility and the fact that someone could concievably delete all their own posts (which like pooh pointed out "should be their perogative") but once things are posted here, they do become "property" of JupM so I'm even somewhat surprised that tutorials are now allowed to be edited.. what if some of the most prolific tutorial writers decided to trash all their stuff upon leaving.. I don't have any one person (in mind as far as tut writers) that I can recall that actually would of done such a thing but remember when greekgoddess left ? I think she probably would of trashed all her posts and that that would of been detremental to the AO community..

so.. no.. it's not such a good idea.. silly stupid posts along with all the good ones should stay and one should just think/plan carefully on what they post before the time limit is up..

sorry.. jmho..

I think it was my 3rd day here. I know of another post where it was earlier, like first or second day here. I replied with a smart ass comment about how you couldn't compare IE to a car wreck because the Hospital wouldn't tell you to reinstall your organs or somet **** like that. Ahhh memories.

So like, what do you guys think? I'd LOVE this option.

Well it's not like when you delete something it's gone. If they need something someone deleted that bad, well, I'm quite sure they have back ups, I'm sure it could be gotten back other ways, and I'm sure Christina trashing her posts wouldn't really do much to a security page. Maube if this was a graphic design page, but here, blah, Heh.

Well, actually I would like to be able to edit some of them with some more current information, but actually I wouldn't like to see any really deleted or changed that much.

Its history.....even if some of it is embarrassing......its history and shows how a lot of members have changed, matured, and in a few cases immatured over their time here.

(You've matured by the way.....well ok sometimes you're a grouch but I sure can't complain about something like that....lol)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I'd just like to be able to delete some of the shitty posts I've made. Not like my old ones, but for example, the Nonsensical Thread, posts I regret making because I was in a bad mood, things like that. It would for sure make AO look better. And also I could edit some of the things I've written here to update them as you stated.

I don't want to kill off the history, just kind of get rid of the 1000 or so posts I've made that were useless crap.

You could PM Intmon for a special over ride to do just that. I doubt that they would though.

And even though I would like to edit a few myself, I think it would be a mess if everyone could do it at any time. There would be too many answers left hanging without a previous post to go with them. (messy and hard to read after the fact.)
    Author Unknown

Intmon loves me and is a good friend to me. I think an idea based on this could work, but I do agree it could get messy, so something would have to be in place to make sure people didn't go delete a bunch of posts. for the most part I don't think many people want to lower the post count they have already.

Banned
    The biggest objection to this idea would be that if a thread starter deletes his post, the entire thread gets deleted...