Thread: download a cabfile?

Angry download a cabfile?

I'm having trouble installing my intel webcam driver. Here's my situation.. I am using win 98 and my cdrom drive is busted so i can't install it using my disc driver. I just downloaded the driver but it is asking for a win 98 disc to complete the installation. I don't have a backup win 98 file...It is asking for cab files to be found on win 98 disc only..i wonder if there is a downloadable cab files on the internet to complete my installation.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I would be suprised if you can download the cab file.

Take your 98 CD to a friends house and get the required cab file on a floppy and then copy it to your HDD.

This thread should be moved to Operating Systems
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

many times, i have been able to point it to c:\windows\options\cabs c:\windows or c:\windows\system and the cabs are there, otherwise, you can download them from me
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

yeah..good suggestion...i never thought of that..thanks

Just Another Geek
    No there isn't.

If you're lucky the files will already be on your harddrive.
    When the installer asks for blahblah.dll point it to either c:\windows, c:\windows\system or c:\windows\system32 (a bit of trail and error is required).

Maybe c:\windows\options\cabfiles still exists?

If you have another system available on a network you could also share the windows cd and access it over the network.

Edit: Damn, djscribble beat me to it
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

let me reinstall the driver and try that c:\windows\system or c:\windows\system32 thingy...thanks

iirc system32 was not a part of windows 98, but i know for a fact that options\cabs was in win98
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Why not just go to the intel web site and see if they have the driver available for download that you need for your webcam, if they do then you don't have to worry about getting the files off of your cd and onto your harddrive.