Lost Files

Thread: Lost Files

Lost Files

Hi, I recently installed a new Motherboard in my computer and had to reinstall windows (without format). Ive reinstalled windows before without format and it worked fine...just replaced the windows install but not the my documents....this time it deleted all of my desktop icons and deleted all folders on my desktop including my documents and everything in it. The thing is my hard drive still reads as 66gb space used and my programs are still there(even though none of them work) so i know my stuff is here somewhere but when i ran a search for my folders nothing came up....my old username folder in the Documents and settings folder reads as 0 bytes and doesnt allow me in. Is there something i could do to get into my files or some free file recovery i could use (pc inspector doesnt work..keeps giving me an error after i select a drive).

BTW im running Windows Xp Pro

Thanks for any help.

Sounds almost like a corrupted hard drive. Get some integrity checking software from the manufacturer and see if it is corrupted.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Nope, i believe i selected a diffrent option by accedent.....i remember seeing a warning that it might delete my documents and all of that this time.....so....the question is how to get my stuff back seeing that i can't see it but the harddrive size suggests that its there.....

The R-Undelete demo will at least let you see if your files are there although the free version has a size limit to what it will recover.

http://www.r-undelete.com/

If the data is really important you may want to pay to upgrade although I'm sure someone here will have ideas for free solutions.

Try googling for free file recovery software.

Good luck.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Have you tried doing a system Restore were you go back to your previous Windows Installation you had..
    As i know that if you have win98 installed, then you decide that you wanna install winXP, and then once it's installed you find that you don't like it for some reason then your able to do a System Restore were it will restore back to Win98....

Not to sure about that but i'm sure that i've heard about it somewere...

f2b:.

ok. The files are there, r-undelete and r-studio works great but i don't have the cash to purchase it atm....can someone suggest (or pm) an alternative to me?

EDIT: never mind.....IRC took good care of me....thanks for the program suggestion...problem solved