Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinMX: Possible Hazard's?

WinMX: Possible Hazard's?

Greeting's AO'ers. Just now, I downloaded WinMX as a recommendation for a pretty safe p2p application to use to download music with. Now, I know the MANY risks of p2p application's and whatnot and I'm going to be downloading as little as possible (and after download's and before running, will scan for viruses/trojans/etc). However I'd like to hear a few opinion's/personal dealing's you guys have had with WinMX and what security danger's other than the common and regular one's that come with a p2p app should I be aware about. What other precaution's should I take? Do you recommend the program? Question's like those.. Thank's in advance!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hoopy Frood
    I use it. I started using to get away from the spyware filled KaZaA. I seem to find that it doesn't have as good of a selection as KaZaA, but it is still pretty good. (If more people used it, this would change.) The interface can be a little confusing at first and takes some getting used to, but once that's done it's OK. I'd give it a 7/10, overall.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

The interface can be a little confusing at first and takes some getting used to, but once that's done it's OK.
    Your not foolin', the GUI blow's. And yeah, this look's like it's going to take some getting used to. It's nothing like KaZaa/Morpheus or any of my past p2p dealing's and I'm not really liking it . Oh well, going to hafta find another compliment to it. Thanks for your thought's though. Any other recommendation's from anyone for another p2p application that you may use?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Actually, if you learn how to use WinMX, you'll find it to be as good as all the others. I too was a little turned off by the GUI but once I learned how to use it, I was able to find just about anything.

Here are a few pointers:

1) Select "Any bitrate Any file" right near the search term fields. This gives you a *much* larger list of hits

2) Set the queue placement to 100 and set the autosearch for 10 minutes. This will get you in queue for downloads and also will assist you during downloads

3) Check your default share path. Most people just say OK to the defaults which happen to expose your username in the documents & settings path. I see this all the time and for fun I will PM people by their real name. Yes, they **** their pants because they immediately think I'm the RIAA. I share out %drive%\WinShares. That's it. No identifying names.

4) Throttle your connection. Don't let 30 people DL off your connection. This will bring your internet connection to a halt. Look at the throttle options. I only allow 2 uploads at a time. You can also slice off how much bandwidth you want to allow WinMX to use.

5) Check their site and DL updates (like this is a surprise) as they become available. I have gotten about 4 updates since I started using it.

6) Browse users as they DL from you. Many times you can trade for things that are not advertised. This is also where you would see full share paths I mentioned above. This is actually cool becuase you are browsing the full contents of their share. Sometimes people share out more than they know because of a misconfig.

Personally, I like WinMX now that I gave it a chance. No spyware and a large selection = One Happy Horsey.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thank TH13 for the pointer's, they're definitely going to come in handy. I was definitely wondering about how much of an affect would people downloading off me have. Thanks for all the information, so far it isn't too bad (meaning I'll get used to it ).
    Space For Rent.. =]

Personally I prefer Bearshare... Works great for me.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I haven't used WinMX but I suggest giving DC++ a try. http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

I was never fond of DC++, merely because I refuse to download 120+ Gigs (yes, I'm being sarcastic) of pirated software just to be able to even share on the network. 40G requirement servers, 400G requirement servers. Seemed like far too much trouble(and illegal software) to be worth my time in the long run.

Just my 2.12 yen

WinMX is brand new for me. I use to run EDonkey and its pretty good (besides some IE ads with spyware....)
    speaking about file avaliabilty, Anyone here did a comparision between Winmx and other? Do you find file that you want? Good stuff there?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Regal Making Handler
    Also you can use the chat option to go look for people to trade with.

Edonkey didn't like operating through my router, that may have been my fault but i gave up on it. I think it's a case of swings and roundabouts. With the different clients, i found winmx to be pretty good for music. Edonkey seemed to be more pron orientated.

I stick to Bittorent now. Less virus risk, as the best bittorent sites tend to be closed forums. Where the users abide by the rules on sharing etc.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry