Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeepFreeze

Talking DeepFreeze

has anyone been able to hack it yet!!

because im thinking about putting deepfreeze on my entire network!! -Windows XP Pro- boxes

Hoopy Frood
    Nothing's ever 100% secure, IMHO. Just a thought.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Nothing's ever 100% secure, IMHO. Just a thought.
    Your opinion is correct. Nothing is 100% secure.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I have hacked it -- start in safe mode and it is not disabled and then you can remove the deep freeze program or remove it from the startup -- easy as pie :-)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Not sure about the 98 version, but with the NT/XP version starting in safemode does nothing to defeat DeepFreeze. You can boot in safemode and delete everything if you want, but when you reboot its all back. There is a way if you have knowledege of ASM and a debugger but unless your're users are incredibly computer savvy, DeepFreeze will lock it up tight, its money well spent.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Originally posted here by Maestr0
    Not sure about the 98 version, but with the NT/XP version starting in safemode does nothing to defeat DeepFreeze. You can boot in safemode and delete everything if you want, but when you reboot its all back. There is a way if you have knowledege of ASM and a debugger but unless your're users are incredibly computer savvy, DeepFreeze will lock it up tight, its money well spent.

-Maestr0
    i do have to respectifully disagree with you because while CHANGES are undone, the actual disabling of deep freeze is not undone because it then doesn't ever start up to undo the changes you made.

However, i do agree that it is money well spent since we have implimented it in some of our labs at my university and we have only had someone disable deep freeze once in the past year.
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Its, kind of a pain if you have programs that require alot of updates.
    But if its just being used for like say an internet kiosk then it works great.
    I toor\'d YOU!

Here I removed all reg keys and deleted DF in Safemode, then just for good measure I "del /F /S/ Q C: *.*" Observe the results.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Computer Forensics
    I dug this up for you guys, since you seem so hell bent on hacking deepfreeze..sheesh.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

OK it is foot in mouth time.... i just looked back at the OS i was using and it was WIN 98 -- yeah, sorry i was wrong about the 2k/xp stuff... i will be tinkering with that tonight and let you know what happens...