Moby Dick / Tess of D'Urbervilles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moby Dick / Tess of D'Urbervilles

er0k

Moby Dick / Tess of D'Urbervilles

Sorry if i spelled the second wrong, i just call it Tess.

Our summer reading includes those two books for my english class, i was wondering if any of you all have read either.

Personally even though i know moby dick is a classic, it has got to be one of the most disorganized, and blatantly boring books i have ever read. No one else seems to realize that melville totally stole his writing style from his mentors, and jumbled it up into a big fat mess called "Moby Dick." The book makes me want to cry in exasperation about how uninteresting and out right sickening it is. Why is it a classic? In my opinion its classic status is simply because of its cetology and simply how ****ing weird it is.

As for Tess, i am yet to read it, but its Thomas Hardy, so im sure itll be pretty boring as well.

And yes i do appreciate good literature, but i prefer not to read books because they are a mastery of the english language, but because they are fun to read or i will learn something very practical and be able to use what i have learned for something i want to do. But then again i generally don't find those types of books that boring.

what do you all think?

Damn, that is some opinion. Having read Moby Dick as a child I remember liking it. But that was so long ago. Write a book about sea captains from hell, sailors and a giant wale and I guess a child will be happy. Maybe it's the battle of compulsive behavior and man's inability to recognize it's evil that make is a classic? Perhaps the term classic needs an update? I have read some other books thought to be boring and poorly written but they were hacked out on a typwriter during uncertain times in a history devoid of modern medicine and electricty. So I cut them some slack. Sea Wolf was better.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

er0k
    damn if you read moby dick as a child and understood it you must have been one of those famous child genious's... were you ever on tv?

I liked Moby Dick. I read it in college (on my own) and liked it a lot.

RoadClosed: Sea Wolf was by Jack London correct? (I bought it a while ago but have not read it)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Sea Wolf - Yes, it's a good book. I have a lot of classic because they are always in those bargin bins.

I am not a genius, only close. <--- joke. My favorite game before kindergarten was those word find things. My punishment was having them taken away and I would sneak them off the refrigerator. You think I would be a better speller? My other punishment was not being allowd to watch star trek. My parents were bastards! And my live was a constant battle with trouble, I never listened very well. When I was in kindergarten I built a model of the Klingon Bird of Prey for show and tell. My dad took that away too. lol.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Why didnt your parents let you watch Star Trek? My dad was a fan of the original and somewhat of a fan for the next generation. So I watched it all the time with him as a kid. (Every night at 6pm)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Re: Moby Dick / Tess of D'Urbervilles

blatantly boring books i have ever read.
    This is called "Art" :P
    Why didnt your parents let you watch Star Trek? My dad was a fan of the original and somewhat of a fan for the next generation. So I watched it all the time with him as a kid. (Every night at 6pm)
    Man, you are a child. I use to watch original one AS A KID and when TNG came i saw it as a grow up man. (almost)

I thinking about retirement now

Moby Dick is too boring even with Jean Luc Picard (err.. Patrick Stewart)

College = Hell

but it will worth (special when you finished it)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Lol they let me watch it. Instead of grounding me or something like a spanking they took Star Trek away. They knew how to get me. They were vicious. JK, lova em.
    West of House

and here i thought moby dick was a STD and tess was a carrier!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I love Tess! Even though it starts out depressing, and gets more so throughout the book. Its a charming story.

I agree moby dick is very boring, but a worthwhile read.
    They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. (Janet Reno)

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We\'ve created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)