Home Networks?

Thread: Home Networks?

Question Home Networks?

How many of you guys have your own home networks? What are the specs?
    I am just setting one up for the first time.
    1 server win 2k3 2 laptops and desktop. DSL connection 768/128. I want to set it up just liek i have at work with its own domain and all. what do you guys have set up?
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Mine is as simple as I can get it.

1 XP home machine
    1 XP Pro Machine
    1 Linux Machine

512/256 DSL connection going to 1.5/256 soon.

I don't fool with domains for my home network, its just a pain to deal with really.

Now I also have another two networks that I manage. One in Florida adn one in Arkansas.

Network 1: Florida
    Verizion 1.5/384 Connection
    1 dell 1600SC Win 2k3 Server Enterprise as PDC with SQL Server
    8 XP Pro workstations joned up to the domain.
    1 Cisco Pix 501 Firewall
    1 Linksys 24 port switch

Network 2: Arkansas
    Direcway 1.5/128 Satelite Connectrion
    Cisco 831 Ethernet Router
    Cisco Catalyst 2950 24 port switch
    15 XP Home computers
    5 Windows 98 (going XP soon)
    2 Dell 1600SC Windows Server 20003 Small Business Servers acting as file servers

Thats my small little world.

By next year I'll have a second network location I'll be setting up in vegas. :P maybe I can tell my boss I need a T3 at my house to manage the servers. lol
    =

I have Business DSL through SBC. As far as the domain goes... Check your Terms of Service to make sure its ok to host a server. (Although many members will tell you they only slap you on the wrist)

Anyway:

Webserver: (hosts my domain and two other domains)
    Dell PowerEdge 2300 with Dual p3 700's with 4 25GB 10000 Rpm SCSI drives in a RAID 5 setup.

I usually get about 1200k down and 200k up. (Even thought its only supposed to be 133k up)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    I have Business DSL through SBC. As far as the domain goes... Check your Terms of Service to make sure its ok to host a server. (Although many members will tell you they only slap you on the wrist)

Anyway:

Webserver: (hosts my domain and two other domains)
    Dell PowerEdge 2300 with Dual p3 700's with 4 25 10000 Rpm SCSI drives in a RAID 5 setup.

I usually get about 1200k down and 200k up. (Even thought its only supposed to be 133k up)
    So VZ would have a problem with em hosting a server on my end? I dont get it? I wasnt tlaking about a web server? i used to work for an ISP as well and we never cared if people had servers?
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Originally posted here by Jason1977
    So VZ would have a problem with em hosting a server on my end? I dont get it? I wasnt tlaking about a web server? i used to work for an ISP as well and we never cared if people had servers?
    Some do care if you have a server running because it uses up their bandwidth. Plus, they want to snag you into a business account. (My old provider got me and threatened to cut off my internet access)

Edit: Wouldnt this be a good addition to our new forum. (General Computer Discussions)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Internet

- Netfilter Fw (changing to smoothwall this weekend) Pentium 233 MMX

Internal Network (8 port ethernet switch)

Linux/Apache running a crap site (mine!) - netfilter enable, just allowing in http requests

2 Windows XP Pro machines, running
    - NIS pro including Nortong A/V and Webroot <---- professional/gaming PC
    - NIS pro, mcafee A/V and Lavasoft <---- p2p "server", my son gaming machine
    (ive done this after getting a virus with each A/V above - so now i have diferent A/V to be sure)

No Outlook, no messenger

Edit:
    my dns server is external, since here (Brazil) i need 2 dns servers to register a domain. so i bought a dns service on USA. (www.ipupdater.com).
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    ADSL 3.3Mb/192Kb - Linksys WRT54G Router

Behind that :

1. Gentoo box ( main box with apache, mysql the whole schlabang )
    2. Debian box/Win2k server ( with test mail server and tryout stuff )
    3. Slackware box ( Serving as backup mail/Chatserver for my main server which is at another location )
    4. Gentoo/WinXP laptop

my dns server is external, since here (Brazil) i need 2 dns servers to register a domain. so i bought a dns service on USA. (www.ipupdater.com).
    Why did you pay for it ? There is a place (for free) for domainhosting, and also for backup dns hosting, which you need. very customable --> freedns.afraid.org
    I have both my domains there. Check it out.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

because i want do host my domain, lets say cacosapo.com not a subdomain.... Also i cant host my DNS server on on dynamic IP (my dsl connection)

I choose that because its cheap, accept DDNS and e-mail redirection. So i dont bother about a "internet connect mail-server". i just relay thru that. Check it. its good

edit:
    ops. i just checked that free service and they host domains too. my bad..
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    demonstrates how well you read . It's ok.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby