usb problem

Thread: usb problem

Exclamation usb problem

System Specs:
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Windows XP Pro SP1 + all available critical/recommened updates.
    512MB Ram
    Etc.

I can't use the USB port on this Laptop.

I look in device manager and it shows the USB ports with the yellow ! that is oh so familiar.

I try to update the driver and here is the error I get.

An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The I/O operation has been aborted because of either thread exit or an application request.
    The driver that is being installed.

Intel(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller 2482

I've tried to update them in "normal mode" by uninstalling the device, and scannig the system for new devices.

I've tried to do the same in safe mode.

Same results.

The system is clean of viruses/trojans/spyware.

I don't have the system disks anymore... they were lost by the "owner" of the laptop.

I tried to install the chipset drivers/setup program that Dell has on their site and it says that the operating system supports the chipset and discontinues the program.

I can't find a way to "manually" install the drivers.

Anyone here seen this before?
    Anyone have any suggestions to help troubleshoot it?

I don't have the laptop to work on at the moment... the owner has it for the weekend.

I'll have it again on Monday.

There is a BIOS update, but I didn't have time to update that yet.

TIA all you hardware experts!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i found this at www.driverguide.com

"Solved my problem for reinstalling windows XP on a Dell Optiplex GX260.
    The original problem was USB Controller not working"
    attached is the driver that they were talking about

to install them, unzip it and then right click on the controller with the yellow triangle icon and then click on update driver or reinstall driver (either will work) and then click on have disk and point to the directory where you extracted this zip file to
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Phish,
    I found this site that talks about know issues with Dell and USB ports. I don't know if it would help you though. http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Compute...20Problems.htm

Also I have O2 card drivers on a driver disc that I have for my laptop. These are some what generic drivers and not specifically Dell, but perhaps they could work for you also. [Strike] I'll send them to you if you like.[/Strike]

[Edit][Strike] I'll just attach them to this post.[/Strike] File too large to attach....If you want them I'll have to mail it to a 10 meg mail account (like gmail or yahoo)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I remember something very similar to this a good 8 months ago - The problem was someone had the correct driver but it wouldnt let them install it, I cant remember the exact error message as it was that long ago.

However, the cause of the problem was that some registry level permmisions had been changed to "read only", maybe in an update or service pack from Microsoft or because of firewall/virus scanner type software but the effect was that it wouldnt allow any changes to a folder titled USB in the registry

To get around it, I went to this reg key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ CurrentControlSet/Enum/USB

Right click on the USB folder and select Permissions, highlight everyone and check the " Full control box"

I think Windows needs to be restarted to make the changes take effect.

If after a restart the box is unchecked again, disable any AV/firewall software and try it again.

Im not to sure of the security implications of this as I am not 100% sure of what that reg key is for but I do know it allowed the driver to be installed.

Infact, I think after the driver was installed I changed the key back to "read only".

It may help you out, im not sure.

As an after thought - Im sure this was prob the first thing you done but have you checked that the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll try them out on monday.

If anyone else has suggestions... please feel free to post them.

The more I have to try, the better.

EDIT: Nokia, that key is set to read only for "everyone" but system has full control...
    that is on my home box though... not the laptop.

I'll try it out either way. Thanks,
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.