Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Microsoft's Firewall Secure?

I've also noticed in some @ home testing that when a SYN attack is launched against a machine running the MS SP2 firewall service it starts stumbling all over itself (mouse gets jerky, it eats up alot of CPU time). Now I know I'm about to speak linux, but I think it has more to do with the firewall being in "kernel" space than "user" space (hope that makes sense) Now as all know, this is the purpose of a SYN attack but even good ol Zone Alarm handled it more gracefully. *shrugs*

However, Zone Alarm is NOT installed and activated by default so I have to give credit where credit is due.

Now if only MS would stop pushing half finished **** out to market...

It can take as little as ping -f over a LAN to bring an XP box to its knees (from a 200MHz box no less). The firewalls I've noticed huge usage on were:
    - Sygate
    - ZoneAlarm
    - Default XP Firewall
    No such difficulty occurs doing the same to a linux box.

OldRedFox, SP2 is far more than just a firewall, so your argument about XP SP2 being for SOHO environments solely based on the fact that most corporations will have a firewall is silly. There are more large network-affecting changes in SP2 than small/no-network changes. Keep in mind also that large businesses feel the dollar impact of insecurity (be they worms, viruses, break-ins, etc.) far more than SOHO businesses.

Originally posted by pooh_sun_tzu
    Sp2 ICF does a good job by default of fixing most problems without crippling usability, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved by manual configuration.
    I'm sorry, but I had a good laugh at this given how large the (as of yet incomplete) list of software broken by SP2 is, and the number of things affected adversely by the firewall.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?