disabling search

Thread: disabling search

disabling search

I was wondering if there is a registry tweak or tool that can disable users from using the search function that comes with xp. I have searched around but have been unlucky in coming up with anything. Thanks for any help.

Flash M0nkey
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...WindowsXP.html

should have the info you need

is about half way down - simple registry tweak

v_Ln

Thanks alot valhallen. I knew there had to be some registry entry somewhere.

maybe I missed it.. but that reg tweak will only disable it from the start menu...

can't a user still right click on start, and choose "search"?
    or, they can open an explorer window and press control F?

I didn't test the reg tweak... but seems like there should be plenty of work arounds...

not to mention the find command in cmd...

maybe you'll want to search for a way to do it via security policy or group policy?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Trying to hide something?

Rather than hiding the search function.. try to encrypt the data or the data folder..

or try hiding ur drive.... it wont show in search/in explorer... but still can be access if u type it "J:\" or "drive:"..

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=248708