hi all,

i've written a command line based game called "mastermind". i think most of you know the game from our early days..

well i've written my own and i would like to know what you guys think of it.

here's the game:
Mastermind.c
Code:
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
*                                                                                  *
*  File: Mastermind.c                                                              *
*                                                                                  *
*  Purpose: a nice little game which challenge you to use your mind and find the   *
*           secret number...                                                       *
*  Copyright (C) 2004  Scorpius, scorpius_unknown@yahoo.com, all rights reserved   *
*  Mastermind is free software; you can redistribute it and/or                     *
*  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License                     *
*  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2                  *
*  of the License, or (at your option) any later version.                          *
*  Mastermind is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,                   *
*  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                  *
*  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the                   *
*  GNU General Public License for more details.                                    *
*  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License               *
*  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software                     *
*  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.     *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <strings.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

void manual(void);

int main(void)
{
    const char *set="123456";
    char secret[6];
    char guess[6];
    char again;
    int guess_check[5];
    int secret_check[5];
    char play='0';
    int run;
    int i,j;

printf("Welcome to mastermind.\n");
    printf("press 1 to play, press 2 for help: ");
    play=getch();
    putchar(play);

if (play=='2')
    {
        manual();
    }
    if((play!='1')&&(play!='2'))
    {
        printf("\nInvalid action!\n");
        return EXIT_FAILURE;
    }    
    again='y';
    while((again=='y')||(again=='Y'))
    {    
        int get_random;
        srand((unsigned)time(NULL));
        for(get_random=0;get_random<5;get_random++)
        {
                secret[get_random]=set[rand()%6];
        }
        secret[5]='\0';/*did this to make safe input*/
        for(run=1;run<9;run++)
        {       
                printf("\nEnter guess %d: ",run);
                for(i=0;i<5;i++)/*get the input*/
                {
                       guess[i]=getch();
                       putchar(guess[i]);

}
                guess[5]='\0';/*did this to make safe input*/

printf("\n%s\t",guess);
                int test=strcmp(guess,secret);/*check if complete string is correct*/
                if(test==0)
                {
                       printf("*****");
                       printf("\nCongratulations!!"); 
                       printf("\nYou needed %d guesses to win, the secret code was: %s",run,guess);
                       break;
                }

for(i=0;i<5;i++)/*set check back to 0*/
                {
                secret_check[i]=0;
                guess_check[i]=0;
                }
                for(i=0;i<5;i++)
                {
                       if(guess[i]==secret[i])/*if number is correct and at the right place*/
                       {
                               printf("*");
                               guess_check[i]=1;
                               secret_check[i]=1;
                       }

}    
                for(i=0;i<5;i++)/*here's the loop to check if a digit is correct but not at the right place,*/
                {                /*then print 'o', and make sure the same digit is not used twice*/
                       for(j=0;j<5;j++)
                       {
                               if((guess[i]==secret[j])&&(i!=j)&&(guess_check[i]!=1)&&(secret_check[j]!=1))
                               {
                                      printf("o");
                                      guess_check[i]=1;
                                      secret_check[j]=1;
                               }
                       }
                }
        }        
        if(run>8)/*only print the next line if user did not guess the number*/
        {
                printf("\n\nUnfortunately you did not guess it, the secret code was: %s\n",secret);
        }        
        printf("\nPlay again (y/n)?: ");
        again=getch();

}
    return EXIT_SUCCESS; /*exit success, since the program runs like it should*/   
}   

void manual(void)/*the help function*/
{    
      printf("\n\nMastermind, Copyright (C) 2004, Scorpius, scorpius_unknown@yahoo.com\n"); 
      printf("\nThe goal of the game is to guess the secret code.\n");
      printf("The code contains 5 random numbers from 1 - 6.\n");
      printf("You have 8 tries for this.\n");      
      printf("Every \'*\' you see next to your input, \n");
      printf("means that you have one number correct and\n");
      printf("at the right place.\n");
      printf("Every \'o\' you see next to your input,\n");
      printf("means that you have one number correct, but\n");
      printf("not at the right place.\n");
      printf("\nLet's get started!\n\n");

}
b.t.w., feel free to keep a copy of the game if you like it, it is under the GPL license

grtz

Scorpius

[edit]
changed the source to get rid of some bugs, changed the charset from 0-9 to 1-6 and max tries from 10 to 8, this way the game is more playable...
[/edit]

[edit2]changed the source again, there were some possible buffer overflows which i had to remove, thanks to capi from www.security-forums.com for helping me locate them
[/edit2]