Thread: 2 Wireless Routers

2 Wireless Routers

Hi everyone!

There's the situation.

I've got 2 wireless routers at home. I want to use one of them simply to boost up the signal. But I don't seem to be able to set it up to do this. Which settings would you recomend to change (It's a D-Link Router).

The second problem I've got is that I forgot the password to my first router. How could I reset it so that all the setting including the password came back to their original state?

Thank you very much
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

There is normally a reset button o n the back of them, if you keep it pressed for 10 sec's or so, it should reset to factory default.

I dont think a wireless router can connect to another wireless router
    wirelessley in the manner you are trying to do it.

You could hardwire one to another though and not so much boost your signal but extend the wireless coverage you have.

Originally posted here by Nokia
    There is normally a reset button o n the back of them, if you keep it pressed for 10 sec's or so, it should reset to factory default.

I dont think a wireless router can connect to another wireless router
    wirelessley in the manner you are trying to do it.

You could hardwire one to another though and not so much boost your signal but extend the wireless coverage you have.
    Thanks for the info. I'll try to work something out on the wireless connection. But how do I hardwire them together.

One other thing is that I wanted to conect my PC to my second router, so that I didn't have to spend extra for another network card.

Do they not have ethernet ports on them aswell?

Yes they do. Each of the routers has got a WAN port each and four LAN ports each. Should I just put a wire from one of the LAN ports of the main router to the WAN port of the secondary one?

If I were you... I'd try to sell one of those off and just get yourself a wireless signal booster...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

One of them is not exactly mine.

In that case... move the one that is yours to a place that gives you the most coverage.

Should I just put a wire from one of the LAN ports of the main router to the WAN port of the secondary one?
    You can connect the second via cat5.

Thats only going to increase your signal strength by however long the cable you connect to it.

Or, you can just get a wireless booster... or get a stronger antenna for the PCs that are having trouble getting the signal.

There are lots of ways to solve this... I think the booster is the easiest...

If you mean you want to increase your speeds from 11mb to 22mb or 54mb to 108mb by using both of the wireless routers...you can't do that... or it will be much more difficult. But if you want to increase your coverage... that should do the trick. Just make sure which router you are connecting to. You should connect to the one with the most signal strength...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

By hard wiring the routers this would give you more hot spot areas, by having one router in one spot then a second one about 50 or more feet away just depends on what type of wireless your using.

So say if both of your wireless routers have a range of 100 ft, by putting one of them in one spot then the second about 75 feet away from the first one, would give a larger radius for wireless connectivity.

To hardwire them, just plug a wire from LAN port of the first router to the WAN port of the second router and configure the second router to get a IP automatically on the WAN side of it.
    =