Thread: New style of AV protection?

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Post New style of AV protection?

I was reading around on some antivirus stuff when I saw (on this main page) of a product called Resolution Antivirus. I read up on it and I'm liking the concept of the way they're dealing with virii that's unleashed into the wilds or simply shared through p2p.

The link of the main program is here and it goes into depth about various things, main things mentioned below.

This system can be installed, managed, and monitored through secure Hands-off-technology™ via the internet.
    Interesting approach as one might wonder "how's it going to do it by itself?". Good question and here's what I think the answer is:

In partnership with the Secure Resolution, one of the worlds security software leaders, Secure Resolutions Hands-Off-Technology™ combines ease of use in a single point of management with constantly updated virus signatures.
    Mentioned after the above is the usual list of headaches associated with virus protection software. Updating, out of sync servers, end user manipulation, etc... These are all pretty real issues considering that viruses get spread throughout enterprises and businesses worldwide a lot more than just regular end users.

My question is, as good as this program sounds and whatnot, do you guys think it's the right way to go? Meaning, hands-off entirely except for those savvy enough or in the IT field? I'm leaning more and more to the realization that hands-off no-maintenance-needed programs like this might be a good thing because most don't update anything, ever...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Maybe it's because I like doing things myself and I'm usually paranoid when an application updates or does something for me, but I'd rather myself get the virus definition's/updates/etc and I'd rather moniter the antivirus software myself. It's just to be on the safe side, IMO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

It does have "Learning" abilities, its "heuristic" blah blah blah......

I agree with a post i saw a while back here, about rather using the defense-in-depth model. I believe a balanced approach between automation and human interaction needs to be found in an organisation. while you sleep, i am awake, and vice versa..... i believe in vlans, i believe in firewalling, but if the question is, do i use an automated anti-virus only, i say no.

you are your own best tool. anything can happen that wonks out the server, and what if your network becomes infected with a network aware virus that chews up all your bandwidth scanning for similarly vulnerable machines?! how would it update then if it has no bandwidth to utilise?! QoS and other factors would also play a role. I believe that no, one should not only have automation for network anti-virus.

They are mostly, anyways, reactionary ....... if someone wrote virus for office (word) how would this anti-virus pick it up if it had legitimate application algorithym with exploit for inside? what about a stealth virus, that will switch itself off when it detects it is being scanned?! I believe one was found not so long ago, about 2 weeks ago if not mistaken. I remember the debate on zdnet and others were "is conventional anti-virus becomming obsolete." I believe in balance and complete system defense .....
    HO$H Pagamisa. Pro Amour Ludi....

Hrmm, that's another thing: These programs algorithym's will be able to detect viruses and whatnot, but like any and every application they have flaws and errors in their coding. Like I said, I'd rather do things myself to be on the safe side. That way if I screw up, I'll know it was my lack of paying attention or knowledge of what I was doing, instead of some program doing it for me.
    Space For Rent.. =]

AOs Resident Troll
    IMHO..... I prefer the "Hands on " approach as I have seen many machines infected due to a false set of security that the owners have that the AV or system is updating itself....but for some reason has stopped about 3 months prior...due to lapse in the subscription fees, change of the configuration or whatever.

Symantec CE updates itself...but I still monitor it and do manual updates as sometimes the Live update definitions can be 2-4 days behind.

Just my .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

If it was really good...wouldnt the concept be widely used?
    Theres probably a pretty good reason why antivirus vendors dont already use this concept
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

so what is the best program to stop viruses coz i kinda have a trojan on my pc and need to know how to get rid of it so i need some suggestions!!!

Check out Housecall from Trendmico. It's a free online scanner.

Cheers:
    DjM

Custom User
    I don't recommend any symantec product (norton antivirus, etc.) anyhow because they are money grabbing bastards. Any product you buy off them (any that I've had experience of) only gives you 60 days of updates before you have to pay for another subscription. Come on...60 days is nothing. And you've got to also take into account that that's after you've already bought the product.

You could argue that you've bought the program and the subscription is for an additional service, but come on...what good is antivirus software without updates?

Never use symantec's products, I don't care how good they are...it's not worth it to fund those bastards.

My opinion.

ac

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I gave up on Symantec (except ghost, which isn't even their original product) simply due to the fact that they take up too many resources and have missed a few items that others catch. That and I'm a staunch advocate of finding other third party programs who do as good if not a better job in similar fields.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.