Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help pls! which is the best antivirus product.

need help pls! which is the best antivirus product.

hello! just want to know which is the best antivirus product in the market today in terms of detection rate and scan engine speed and overall best. to limit the choices... let the choice be between mcafee and nav. thanks!

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    that also depends on how much money your going to spend....

free AV programs are various and easily found.... as are 'online' scanners... also what OS are you using?? i'll assume windows for now... and because your asking i will just quickly say (and i might be wrong, someone back me up or otherwise...) to use Nortons AV if you want to buy it.. otherwise AVG is on the web somewhere.... like here.... www.grisoft.com

personally i would choose Nortons over McAfee... buts thats just one mans opinion
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

thanks for the quick reply cybertecone... actually... i'll really buy one and want to know which is a better choice. nav or mcafee... i'm using windows and plan to put up a small home network.
    \"Awareness is the key to security\"

BANNED
    Out of norton and mcafee I prefer mcaffe. I've put norton on a system I knew had problems and it didn't find a thing. I uninstalled norton and installed mcaffe and it came up with numerous trojans and viruses.
    But I prefer an online scanner now since I'm the only one who uses my system and I don't download stupid crap. Panda and trendmicro both have good online scanners.
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

For buying purposes i would vote for panda platinum edition due to its good detection rate. for Norton ,i have tried it but it really made my system crawl when i used it last. bu that 's just mu personal viewpoint.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

Imho, the best free antivirus is at www.free-av.de. Been using it for soem time, and it works excellent. It's a page in german, but there's a button somewhere to have the english version. For the rest, I prefer McAffee over Norton too. We had problems over here with norton regarding system stability.
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary, and those who can\'t.

I'll stick to housecall. It's never failed me and I don't appreciate that panda wants my email address for use of the scanner, and so they can send me results.

BANNED
    Just giving him more than one option.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

My personal view is to stay away from Norton, unless you have the corporate version. McAfee has served me well over the years, and I mean that! I go back to when it came once a month from Holland on 3.5" floppy disks!

Otherwise, I have had good results with PC-Cillin (Trend Micro)

I have been using Norton for quite some time now and have not experienced any of the issues described here. Prior to using Norton I used McAfee, but I had so many issues with it crashing after updating DATs I decided to look at other products. I like the McAfee interface more than Norton's. However, at the time I was more concerend with my anti-virus software running than how it looked. :-)