Thread: Running Web Server on ADSL BroadBand

Question Running Web Server on ADSL BroadBand

Hi, last nite i was trying to setup a FTP server for my friends to download jpg files taken on birthday party.
    I realise that it was unusually slow.

Is it true that, running ip services on broadband is going to be slow?
    Any difference if my friend are on the same broadband provider?

I suspect it has something to do with the caching. Broadband works base on pre-caching contents.
    What would happen if the application real-time, interective type?

ADSL will be slow to upload from, because in the UK at least your upload speed is generally restricted to 256Kb/s (you might get 400Kb/s in London) to allow more download speeds to be higher. Also, an ADSL connection is probably not the best quality either for uploading data, you really would be better off with a dedicated leased line (e.g. SDSL) if you wanted to run serious stuff off it.

Having said that, it's fine to run web and FTP servers off your broadband connection provided that it doesn't break the terms and conditions with your ISP (if it does, switch to one where it doesn't) and if you prepared to put up with relatively slow upload speeds.

If your friends are on the same broadband provider it might be slightly quicker because they'll most likely be using the same network (you should in theory and my experience, get fewer hops between the two machines). However, I've never really seen a noticeable difference.

Finally, I would advise against running real-time interactive and bandwidth-hogging applications off your ADSL line because people will probably be too impatient to wait for them to catch up.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Thanks pwaring, but the difference that we experiencing is big. Would that have anything to do with the "pre-caching" characteristic of broadband connection?

Originally posted here by moonlight_x
    Thanks pwaring, but the difference that we experiencing is big. Would that have anything to do with the "pre-caching" characteristic of broadband connection?
    I believe pwaring already answered your question, but your followup question left me wondering what in the world you are talking about. What pwaring was essentially trying to tell you is that your upload/download rates on ADSL are not the same. A typical setup for ADSL would be 1.5 down/256 up (in other words, if you try to download data from a web page, you could theoretically get 1.5 Mb/s, but if you tried to send that data to the web page (upload) you would theoretically be limited to 256 Kb/s (I say theoretically because you will almost never get the full amount of bandwidth alloted due to a multitude of factors).

Because of the cap on upload speeds, I agree with pwaring, you do not want to do anything interactive on your system unless the amount of data being transferred in the session is very small, and even then it will always seem a little slow (for example, allowing shell access). I also agree with his suggestion of going to SDSL (where the upload rate is the same as the download rate) if you want this type of service to be faster.

I run my own web server and file server off of my home network (ADSL) and it works fine, you just have to realize the limitations of the service and deal with them, or fork over the money to get a better connection.

EDIT:
    I started thinking about it and decided that maybe you were asking how to preload images on your webpages so that the slowness of the connection isn't as noticeable.
    You can do this pretty easily with JavaScript. Have a look here:

http://javascript.internet.com/misce...ad-images.html

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Originally posted here by nebulus200
    A typical setup for ADSL would be 1.5 down/256 up
    Bah, you Americans have everything better when it comes to net access - over here a "typical" ADSL connection is 512/256.

Mine's like 1.5Mbps/512kbps [170 kBps down, 65 kBps up speaking in common terms]. So nobody blame Canada in this thread .

My ISP restricted incoming access to FTP, SMTP, POP, HTTP and IRC [and maybe more] meaning a regular home user cannot use the standard ports for these services. I say 'home' because they want you pretty much to upgrade to their business packages where such services are allowed. Not that I can see any problem with rerouting any of the above through diff ports [it's only the port numbers they check, not the type of connection].

ADSL and Cable aren't really meant for high-traffic webservices such as websites or webservers. Sure you can do it, but as nebulus200 mentioned, you have to know the limitations and accept them. I used to run a personal FTP server not known to the world [where, except for the ocassional port scan ] and didn't have problems or complains. But if you're serious about it then I recommend you switch up to SDSL or VDSL or whatever they have that's best around your place
    /\\

Bah, you Americans have everything better when it comes to net access - over here a "typical" ADSL connection is 512/256.
    well i get better on the download but upload is still piss - got BT's 1meg adsl

Downstream 906 Kbps (113.3 KB/sec)
    Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec)
    v_Ln

Originally posted here by valhallen
    well i get better on the download but upload is still piss - got BT's 1meg adsl
    I have a 2Mb/s line at one house, but the cost is the problem over here. I know people in the States who get a 3Mb/s cable line for the same price as my 512Kb/s ADSL.

I will make you all jealous with my 5mbps/640kbps line! Canada rules!
    In case you have doubts:
    Time Elapsed: 6.1133348941803 Seconds
    Transfered: 3260928 bytes
    4167.28 KiloBits / Second
    DSLReports, which is always slower:
    Your download speed : 2716531 bps, or 2652 kbps.
    A 331.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 588928 bps, or 575 kbps.
    And the one from my ISP (http://speedtest.cogeco.net):
    Your download speed : 5578094 bps, or 5447 kbps.
    A 680.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 613308 bps, or 598 kbps.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

*snicker*
    DslReports
    2004-08-18 12:27:06 EST: 6545 / 3566
    Your download speed : 6702764 bps, or 6545 kbps.
    A 818.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 3651984 bps, or 3566 kbps.

YourISP:
    2004-08-18 12:28:05 EST: 8397 / 3060
    Your download speed : 8599383 bps, or 8397 kbps.
    A 1049.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 3133977 bps, or 3060 kbps.

EDIT: To be fair, that was from our DS3; however, it was also during the day while I had multiple other programs using my system and sharing it with around 20000 other users, so IMHO, still not bad

Was thinking about upgrading the DSL from current 1.5M/256K to 3M/384K. The cost is only $5 to $10 a month more, anyone notice any huge difference in performance with a similar setup? I am most interested in increasing my upload speed, I think this is what is capping my speed on game servers

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)