Thread: Dial up disconnects

Question Dial up disconnects

I have a dell tower at home running Pent IV 800 with 768 ram. Win Xp Pro. Everytime i connect to a dialup it disconnects after about 30 seconds once i open up a browser and try to go to a website. I then reconnect and have no problems again untill next time. this has happend for 2 years. I have switched modems and reinstalled the operating system several times. (Fdisk).
    any ideas?
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

They only thing that comes to mind it that it could be your phone line and you are getting alot of line noise which is causing your modem to lose it's connection. I would check to see if your isp has other numbers you can dial out on, and also have the phone company come out and check the line but keep in mind that the only thing the phone company is required to guarantee is that you have a good voice connection.

Sorry...I should have mentioned that I dial up with other machines without the same issue.
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

reviewing..
    you dial for an ISP
    get connected
    start web browser (IE)
    you cant get to an web page and it disconnects
    you connect again
    your web browser, that you didnt closed, works perfectly now.
    if you open another browser, connection disconnects

is that right?

Your IE is configured to "dial on demand" or something like that.

go there and configure it to "never dial" to use the current connection.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

no, the browser works and so does any new session i open once connected the second time.

Well,

1. First strike: load one of the Mozilla browsers and see if that works? (corrupted browser)

2. Strike two: Download SpyBot S&D and AdAware and run them in safe mode. Then run "Housecall" from PC-cillin in normal......just to eliminate spy/ad ware.

Then post back............I will take "strike three" then

Good luck

This is fresh install of XP pro...

Originally posted here by Jason1977
    This is fresh install of XP pro...
    Point being? That makes corrupt browser even more probable.

If it is a fresh install, why don't you just reformatt and see if that fixes it? You have nothing to lose the way I see it.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

???

Sorry, running Win98 SE here...but I double click on modems in control panel, under general tab, select properties...click on the connection tab...than click advanced...under extra settings I enter S10=50.... hit okay, and okay again.

It allows your modem to stay connected for about 5 seconds without a carrier. Helped out on the disconnects quit a bit with the dial-up.