Thread: Bug in the M$ Firewall.

AO French Antique News Whore

Bug in the M$ Firewall.

I install SP2 on my personnel computer at job for testing and to set up a group policy for the firewall and I found a bug. I would like to know if you guy have the same one. I have set the “File and Printer Sharing” to only accept incoming from a specific IP address. The problem is that whenever I put this rules on, my machine can be ping from all IP.

On the group policy editor, their a note
    Note: If any policy setting opens TCP port 445, Windows Firewall allows inbound ICMP echo requests (the message sent by the Ping utility), even if the "Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions" policy setting would block them. Policy settings that can open TCP port 445 include "Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception," "Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception," and "Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions."
    To my understanding, when I open the “File and Printer Sharing”, it’s open the ping also but why does it open ping for everyone and not only the IP I specified?

Bug or not?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

"File and Print Sharing" needs both TCP/445 and ICMP enabled, but as noted elsewhere it doesn't restrict sources to the local network.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

AO French Antique News Whore
    I know that but I wondering why opening "File and Print Sharing" for only ONE ip address open the ping for the rest of subnet (And probably Internet)
    -Simon \"SDK\"