Thread: Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2

AO French Antique News Whore

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2

-Simon \"SDK\"

So Just about everything then

Seriously that is a very long list, it claims most of them are firewall related, I hope they are right or I am going to have a total nightmare.

This is one time I am very glad I am not in charge of any microsoft networks...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Just think about the day when there is a serious security flaw in XP and Microsoft has a prerequisite that sp2 is installed prior to the patch being installed?

SP 2 looks like a new OS... MS spent too much time and packed too many things. It is been a nitemare for some guys..
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

The Iceman Cometh
    From what I've seen, most of then are firewall related, and only when using specific network operations. A few of the programs I have within my organization have patches for them available from the manufacturers. The other ones, I can't find any support documents which state what the specific problems are. At least two of the ones I had problems with were related to the firewall and FTP functions. The others typically didn't work because they had to communicate with the server and the firewall was blocking the ports necessary to do so. Those have just been my experience. If I come across anything else, I'll let you all know.

I beta'd sp2 and removed it in a day.
    I gave it another shot a few days later and pulled it off again really quickly.

For Suzy Secretary who spends too much time surfing when she should be typing up reports, it'll probably keep some of the crap off her box.

For someone who knows what it is that they're doing it is annoying as hell. Especially someone who does everything he can to stay away from Microsoft products. It didn't like Mozilla as my default browser. It didn't like downloading with Opera, it slowed my box down to a crawl. A crawl I tell you.

T_K, most of the changes in sp2 are under the hood. You really should just disable the default firewall and run with it, as there are TONS of changes that make it more secure (I don't know them all of the top of my head, go read a couple of pooh's posts on the subject, he listed out quite a few).
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I agree with The Grunt! Their a ton of "under the hood" change that make XP alot more secure.
    -Simon \"SDK\"