Thread: Unix tools ported to windows?

Unix tools ported to windows?

I'm looking for something a little more full featured than cygwin. Something with a native c compiler would be nice. I googled but didn't have any luck.

BANNED
    Is this what you are looking for? I thought I had read it the other day so I searched here.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...t=unix+windows
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Not quite, but thank you.

I need something like cygwin that is installed locally. Essentially I want to run a gui-less Unix in a virtual machine without having to install vmware. I don't have a whole lot of hard drive space on this lap-top, so I need something small. I also run CAD off this box so I can't afford the performance hit a full blown vm instance running. But I do have a need to be able to use unix tools on it sometimes concurrently. Cygwin does most of what I need, but it doesn't have a compiler, (I just tried putting lynx on and that dog didn't hunt) and is missing a few commands that I'd really like to have.

Originally posted here by thread_killer
    Not quite, but thank you.

I need something like cygwin that is installed locally. Essentially I want to run a gui-less Unix in a virtual machine without having to install vmware. I don't have a whole lot of hard drive space on this lap-top, so I need something small. I also run CAD off this box so I can't afford the performance hit a full blown vm instance running. But I do have a need to be able to use unix tools on it sometimes concurrently. Cygwin does most of what I need, but it doesn't have a compiler, (I just tried putting lynx on and that dog didn't hunt) and is missing a few commands that I'd really like to have.
    Hey Hey,

Cygwin can have a compiler... my cygwin has gcc, g++ and make and everything else. There's always Services for Unix (From MS)... it's meant to integrate *nix and MS environments. It's got everything and you could go download the bash shell and other utilities from the interix website (it comes with ksh and csh). Depending on the tools you need.. I've got a full featured set of unix apps.. but they've all be collected over the years from various places... Send me a PM if you want and I can compress my backup and send it over to you.. It should have everything you need.

Peace,
    HT

Antionline Herpetologist
    You might want to look at CoLinux. It basically does what you want.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com