Thread: WinXP Wireless Settings Won't Stick

Question WinXP Wireless Settings Won't Stick

This is a wierd one...

Laptop is configured so that XP manages the wireless connection. However, every once and a while it drops it. It took me a little bit of digging to figure out, but the problem is that a configurtion setting keeps resetting itself! The key is supposed to be configured to shared, and was configured to shared, but it keeps setting itself back to open without anyone going into configuration -- when it does, of course, the connection is dropped. We have several other XP laptops configured the exact same way, and this never happens.

What could cause such a thing?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    As computers cannot do things themselves........... I would suspect that you have missed a setting somewhere........................
    Does this happen on boot up ?
    Or is it happening as the Laptop is 'hot' ?
    If it happens when the laptop is running, is it when you have been running for a while ?
    Is there a pattern to the system dropping it ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

No pattern yet, but this just started a week or two ago. It's happened twice now, and both times the user had walked away from the laptop while it was running, and by the time he got back, the setting was changed and thus the connection dropped -- and I don't think we have any mischevious employees running around.

What condition is the battery in? Was it plugged in or running on battery? Flakily batteries can do some weird things.

Cheers:
    DjM

It was plugged into AC.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Even when plugged in to AC, if the battery is failing, it can give problems. On AC the system will top up the battery, run the laptop and any excess is lost as heat. (excess from the PSU, as they are not 100% efficient) try to replace the battery with one from a known good laptop, and see if this changes anything, if problem goes, it was just somehow connected to the heat and screwy battery.

Batteries have memory; if you are recharging and the battery wasn't flat, say it had 15% left, it will recharge from the 15% meaning that 'full charge' will only be 85% of max.

New Ni/MH [Nickel / Metal Hydride] overcome this problem.
    Other systems will DISCHARGE the battery to flat BEFORE they begin to charge.

It could be that when re-charging, if you drop the power during charge, that the battery was discharging, and with insufficient power, your system had a weak link.............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

i too have seen this before on 2 or 3 different laptops and i remember on one it had to do with the ieee authentication, on the next it was the software that was installed with the card (EX: linksys wireless utility) and on the third the problem went away after another rebuild -- keep in mind that these all were originally made with a ghost image so why it happened is still a mystery to me
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Wierd, so it could be something very small and elusive causing that...

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep an eye on it then, and at least I know what to look for!