Thread: Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent

Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent

There's a huge buzz about this book. Co-authored by Fyodor, FX, Joe Grand, Kevin Mitnick, Ryan Russell, Jay Beale, and several others. Anybody read it yet? I'm thinking about looking at it - maybe even reading a few chapters while I sit in Borders or something...

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I have not read it yet, but I'm looking forward to Fyodor's next book on Nmap use. Hopefully there will be a picture of my hand in it (holding a Zaurus).

I have it. Its a great book. I just read a chapter on rogue wireless devices. It reads like a spy novel. Based on scenerios and such. I recommend it. i picked up some good stuff out of it. i haven't finished it yet so I can't tell you how it ends

I just finished reading this book the other day.

Whilst the minds that put the book together are obviously very talented and cunning in their respective technical arenas, they are brutal fiction writers. The entire story is summed up as being incredibely dull and uninteresting. The story serves merely as a capsul to carry the hacking 'run throughs' which could essentially have been condensed into 10 pages. Having said that if you don't find something you didn't know in those 10 pages I'd be highly surprised.

One of the chapters that put the biggest smile on my face was Fyodors one. If you read between the lines he basically gets brag to you about all the 0-day tools he has for himself ! You can even read that chapter on his website for free.

Despite my scathing criticism about the story (which is really unimaginative and juvenile) I would recommend the book as a break from the norm.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Yes, I know I'm digging up an old thread.....

This book is available online now.... I just made it required reading for my staff to make them aware of the less obvious methods used to subvert a network and all in a quite readable format.

Available here in pdf format at 4.5Mb.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Link down Tiger ?

[edit]
    you MIGHT have been a tad hasty

homepage to Tiger's link
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO Senior Cow-beller
    The link is broken, but the file is there if you can fix the URI yourself. Not too terribly difficult.

Foxly, the default page is still in place, but there IS content on that server.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Banned
    Tiger's link is fine... it's AO messing with the formatting

Let's try this:

Code:
    http://abel.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/~janos/...ookshelf/book/
    Stealing%20the%20Network%20How%20to%20Own%20the%20Box.pdf
    Dang... nothing seems to work... just put these three lines together, and it should work

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I'd like to point out the value of a service such as TinyURL.com

Creation of said link is left to the student for educational purposes.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore