Thread: mesenger service pop up adds

Blast From the Past

mesenger service pop up adds

their is a new ad fad going around using an exploit in windows messenger service
    these adds look similiar to error messeg windows, they have an ok button at the bottem and tell you to go to different websites to solve this

eg. www.patchwindows.org

some are even link to adware removle tools! ...something is wrong with that

to disable this you need admin rights im presuming
    go to start
    settings
    control panel
    administrative tools
    services
    then scroll down to mesenger
    then disable it and save the settings

no more ads through that exploit

this is the link i found in google to fix this problem
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    At my campus we turn of the messenger service with a GPO. Before they did that, the campus TV bulletin boards use to always come up with adds for penis enlargement.

Regal Making Handler
    And adds to stop the adds you are getting. Go figure.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The Iceman Cometh
    I actually think think that SP2 turns off the messenger service by default now (at least that's what I witnessed after I helped a friend do a clean install on her laptop and install SP2 immediately after installing Windows). Just FYI

AJ

Blast From the Past
    i cant update to sp2 .......using a hacked copy of windows....I SWARE I PAYED FOR IT but i reinstalled soomany times that the registry key doesnt work anymore
    and i dont want to calll and deal with MS.....
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Yea, that will solve all of your problems, install SP2, cough, then you won't have any more problems with messenger.

And if you have a problem with a leaky boat, you can always sink it in the middle of the atlantic, then it won't leak any more ever again!

The Iceman Cometh
    I SWARE I PAYED FOR IT but i reinstalled soomany times that the registry key doesnt work anymore
    and i dont want to calll and deal with MS.....
    You know, if you call, it only takes about 3-4 minutes. Also, reformatting and reinstalling Windows shouldn't make your key invalid unless you installed it on different hardware configurations. If that's the case, it's a really quick fix. Call up from the activation screen, read off the number, and they'll be able to tell it's the same machine with only minor changes. If the hardware changes were significantly different, it'll be a bit more work, but you should still be able to resolve the whole issue in under 5 minutes. If you want to install SP2 (which, although some may disagree with, I think is a very good idea), just take care of it. It'll be worth it in the long run.

AJ

install SP2 (which, although some may disagree with, I think is a very good idea)
    Before you take adven's advice, you might want to check out these two small lists of programs that were 'screwed' by SP2.

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2

But then again, SP2 fixes lots of important issues
    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Some of these critical issues that are supposedly fixed are as follows:

W32Time reports an incorrect time for how long a computer is on standby
    You receive a stop error 0x7E in Pci.sys
    The system event log contains many event 61 entries
    Palatino and Schoolbook printer fonts are spaced incorrectly after you upgrade to Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
    The "NoDesktop" Policy Causes Problems with Displaying the Desktop
    Incorrect ToolTip Text Is Displayed
    Slow system performance or your computer stops responding when you use Windows

Hmmm, any reason for me to upgrade. . . .