Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dammed cosmic rays!

dammed cosmic rays!

Cosmic ray link to global warming boosted

http://www.newscientist.com/news/new...270&lpos=home3

At issue is whether cosmic rays, the high-energy particles spat out by exploding stars elsewhere in the galaxy, can affect the temperature on Earth. The suggestion is that cosmic rays crashing into the atmosphere ionise the molecules they collide with, triggering cloud formation.

If the flux of cosmic rays drops, fewer clouds will form and the planet will warm up...

Some proponents of the theory argue that changes in the number of cosmic rays reaching Earth can explain past climate change as well as global warming today.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well this is the coldest and wetest summer I have ever experienced. Maybe the cosmic rays don't affect the Rocky Mountains?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Simple question:

How many Ice Ages have their been?

Second question:

What was the estimated human population during each of them, (giveaway on question one - there was more than one... duh)?

Third question:

What was the level of industrialization - therefore "greenhouse gasses" - produced by those populations?

Fourth question:

Are we back to the issue of cow farts?

last question:

Is it possible that the earth goes through cyclical change over millions of years that would never have been recognized without the sensitive instruments we now have and that those people reading the instruments all have the last name "Little" with the first name "Chicken"??????
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Simple question:

How many Ice Ages have their been?

Thousands probably.

What was the estimated human population during each of them, (giveaway on question one - there was more than one... duh)?
    Well, most of them, none, due the the fact that we hadn't evolved yet.

The last 10 or so, probably quite a few.

What was the level of industrialization - therefore "greenhouse gasses" - produced by those populations?
    None, as no technique for mass extraction of fossil fuels had been developed before about the 18th century. People burnt charcoal and wood to keep warm (which of course is renewable).

Are we back to the issue of cow farts?
    Yes obviously!

last question:

Is it possible that the earth goes through cyclical change over millions of years that would never have been recognized without the sensitive instruments we now have and that those people reading the instruments all have the last name "Little" with the first name "Chicken"??????
    Wibble

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    OK Slarty.... Allow me to rephrase a question.....

How many Ice Ages do we traditionally accept as having taken place in _our_ history of the world?

Good response though.... <LOL>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

[slightly off-topic] Well there were definitely a few clouds out here on the Canadian West Coast this morning. A few is a gross understatement, as I have understood that a 'super cloud cell' had formed... anyway, the two thunders caused by the cell sounded very similar to the explosion of a whole gas station. I woke up during the first one [which lasted for almost 2 or 3 seconds] and after it there was a symphony of car alarms in the whole neighbourhood. The second one was more moderate, kind of like a fuel truck exploding...

I had to get that out of my system, the damned thing woke me up!
    /\\

correct me if im wrong on this as im going from the memories of a very long time ago...but i think we count four ice ages the last of which was ending during the time of the liberal neanderthal. (probably wrong) who balmed it on dinosaur farts.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    OK Slarty.... Allow me to rephrase a question.....

How many Ice Ages do we traditionally accept as having taken place in _our_ history of the world?

Good response though.... <LOL>
    Known periods of glaciation include the Huronian (2400Ma-2100Ma), Sturtian-Varangian (950Ma-570Ma), Andean-Saharan (450Ma-420Ma), Karoo (360Ma-260Ma), Cenozoic (30Ma-Present).
    Glaciation, often called an ice age

If you want serach for Ice Cores PDF's.

I'm telling you if a small thermal nuke goes off up there and a giant piece of ice floats into the Gulf Stream it's over. The War On Terror must go on.

Huronian! nobody counts that!

Originally posted here by !mitationRust
    I'm telling you if a small thermal nuke goes off up there and a giant piece of ice floats into the Gulf Stream it's over. The War On Terror must go on. [/B]
    Goes off where? pieces of ice in the Gulf Stream?

Call me stupid, but doesn't the ice cap on the north pole actually float on the sea? Hence if it melted it wouldn't contribute to sea level rising? Because it would displace the same amount of water as water as it does as ice?

Slarty