"Bridge"?

Thread: "Bridge"?

"Bridge"?

What does the term "bridge" mean in networking?

I heard it used refering to wireless router.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

It's effectively what a switch does.

A "bridge" transfers packets from one network to another, making them look like they are on the same network (to other machines). They can be implemented in hardware (i.e. a switch) or software.

In any case, a wireless router is usually really a bridge not a router.

I say it's not a router, because it doesn't actually modify or route the packets, just moves them around.

The difference is a bit of a fine line anyway, with most vendors now selling kit which can do a bit of both.

In the "old" days when switched ethernet was really expensive, a "bridge" was essentially a really small switch (with say 2-4 ports) which could be used to extend the usefulness of segments by restricting traffic (whereas a hub or amplifier won't).

Like on coax, when the maximum cable length was reached you can't go any further without a bridge.

But it's kind of pretty obsolescent the term, with switched twisted pair everywhere.

Slarty

I think he meant it in the sense of a bridged PCI-to-PCMCIA wireless card [something I have]. But slarty did pretty much explain it, it just acts a pipe for data. In the case of PCI-to-PCMCIA bridging is done [AFAIK] to simulate the presence of a PCMCIA card [in this example] that's in fact sitting on a PCI slot. When it comes to network bridges it's been explained above.
    /\\

nightcat: I don't mean to be rude... because I was once in your position. I didn't know much about computers... and I still do not!

But... at least I try to SEARCH before posting a question that could be answered by yourself in less than 1 minute. I'm not talking about searching AO... I'm talking about using a search engine... the answer to most of the questions you've had could be answered all on your own.

And.. before you ask what a search engine is....

http://webopedia.com/TERM/s/search_engine.html

AO is not your mommy... AO's not going to spoon feed you everything you want to know.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    nightcat: I don't mean to be rude... because I was once in your position. I didn't know much about computers... and I still do not!

But... at least I try to SEARCH before posting a question that could be answered by yourself in less than 1 minute. I'm not talking about searching AO... I'm talking about using a search engine... the answer to most of the questions you've had could be answered all on your own.

And.. before you ask what a search engine is....

http://webopedia.com/TERM/s/search_engine.html

AO is not your mommy... AO's not going to spoon feed you everything you want to know.
    I do understand what you are saying, but I am not in a situation where I get to choose. I do search for answers when I can. If you noticed I don't have that many posts on the forum. Guess "Why?" .

If I will manage to land a nicer job then I've got now, I will be more helpful here, and WILL ask even less questions.

Thanks for your help. I realy didn't know what "Search Engine" was

To everyone else:

Firstly thatnks for the explanation.

And another question. What does this mean when the wireless router has a "bridging" capability? Does this mean that it can be used to extend wireless networks?

I came up with this two questions as I was searching for the way to conect two wireless routers without hardwirering them.