Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of a [B]Security[/B] related site?

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Anyone know of a [B]Security[/B] related site?

This one clearly has too many children and not-really-interested people.......

Bullshit trolls, *******s who don't know when they aren't wanted, forums taken down to the level of 5 year olds, music forums, gaming forums....... And no-one doing a damn thing to stop it.....

Intmon, JupM, Mods...... Is this what you want?MS. M: You should have deleted the "gaming forum" post..... You're being baited by little shits..... You know better.....

The signs say it's time to move on.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

TS: I know where you're coming from... but thats going to be the way it is on *almost* any "security" site.

If you leave AO, you're going to find the same thing at the next site... we're going to follow you.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

None that are as active and as all-encompassing as this one.

There are several I frequent that only deal with one thing. IE. Root Kit but it's slow and hell....they're only talking about Rootkits.

Now....I'm a hardware guy. I frequently find myself looking on the vendor's site or calling up their SE's when I have a specific concern.

I don't care if you're on the CCIE study forum, Justlinux.com, starwarsgalaxies, or a classic car forum. If there are people there, there are going to be slap-dicks, asshats, and idiots making silly posts.

Banned
    I have my AntiOnline home page set up to show all forums. Right now, there are 15 security-related threads going on, and 9 non-security related ones.

Of those 9 non-security related threads, 4 are bitch-threads (this one included), 3 are suggestions, and 2 are in Cosmos. How difficult is it to ignore those 9 threads if you're not interested in them?

Bitch-threads are a part of every forum (a forum without bitch-threads probably only has 2 members), and here at AO we seem to have two different types:
    It's either members trying to change something for the good but getting bitched at, or members bitching about how AntiOnline has gone downhill. It's funny how some members want to change this place into a security-only forum, but they all seem to be using the wrong technique...
    If you want a crowded place to go quiet, you shut up and beg for others to follow your example.
    A crowded place won't go quiet when everybody starts shouting "be quiet!".
    If you want AntiOnline to become security-only, you only post security-related threads.
    It won't become security-only when everybody starts shouting how it's not security-related.
    Chain-reactions and avalanches are wonderful things.

Tweak your front page, make it only show security-related forums, problem solved (with the exception of the occasional thread that slips through the mazes of the net). But nooooo, we need to have an opinion, and we need to make sure everybody hears it!
    The level of discussion in those security-related forums might be discussable, but you can't expect AntiOnline to give out a free brain to everyone who signs up.

And everybody has a right to post a suggestion. In some cases it's clear that a suggestion isn't going to make it. Nothing lost. A suggestion, options are looked into, decision is made, case closed. Nothing for you to worry about. If the suggestion is worthwhile, don't expect an immediate decision. Options have to be weighed, preferably a consensus has to be reached... takes time.
    But expecting a moderator to kill a suggestion because it's not in your line of thought?

Cosmos is another thing: not security-related at all, but if you look at the thread-count, you'll see that it's one of the more popular forums, and it does have a place here.

Doesn't matter where you go, where there are more people, there are dumbasses. Do you live in a city, TS? If you do, you will understand the comparison. chsh (I think) made a comment a while ago about starting another site where he could mod as strict as he wished, I don't know if I would be accepted there, but if he started one I would register.

Of all the forums I've seen, this one is by far the most active. That's why I stuck around, I didn't have to wait a week for a response to a post. Lately the threads have been getting repetitive though. I started a couple to break it up a lil' bit.

Whatever. security-forums.com looks pretty good, groovicus pointed me there, I just lurk though.

we're going to follow you.
    Speak for yourself! ****, I like AO and I like the ability to control what I see on this site. If I don't wanna see GCC, I don't have to.

Tiger: If you don't like this site, leave.. no need to whine/bitch on the way out. I'm sure you'll be missed by a few members and whatnot but we'll move on.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I think you're going to have a hard time finding another web forum like AO that has the same info. The bulk of the good security information seems to be relegated to mailling lists (even usenet is overrun). I'd recommend full-disclosure for an unmoderated list that allows posting (though you are probably already aware of it).

Soda:
    As for me starting a site, the comment was along the lines of "if I did, I would heavily moderate the initial membership" (not exact quote), however I don't have the time or resources (more of the latter) to commit to running such an enterprise.

Anyhow, as I've said before elsewhere, if you want the quality of discussion to go up, get rid of Antipoints, and just let the mods moderate the site. As it stands, Antipoints encourage people to write things for the sake of getting cookies. While not being their original intent, IMO it is in a state where it does more harm than good.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Speak for yourself!
    I was being sarcastic... duh!

Antipoints encourage people to write things for the sake of getting cookies.
    <homer> mmmmm... cookies... </homer>

Sorry, just trying to give TS some more of that 5th grade BS that he has come to love...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I was being sarcastic... duh!
    Heh, sorry for being slow today.. Hard day today and I'm pooped.
    Space For Rent.. =]

No need to be sorry. I'm being a bit retarded tonight.

School starts soon and I'm not looking forward to it... not to mention I'm getting bored with my job and I don't know what to do about it! Fun fun!