Ok This is the revision to my “How to dualboot windows and Linux” thread
keep in mind that what ever specs i may use in this tutorial is what i recommend as the minimum..... you can change any spec that you want in order to fit your needs

SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED
bootloader- this will allow you to boot 2 or more different operating systems
for this we will use Gag. More info as we continue
hard drive- you may use any hard drive you want ....hell use 2 or 3....but for demonstration purposes we will use a 20gig hdd
operating systems- popular ones include windows XP and Slackware Linux
you may use any windows or Linux distro you desire...once again demonstration purposes only
1 free afternoon- self explanitory ....no need to RTFM here

EXPLANITONS OF THE TERMS YOU WILL SEE
ext2- native linux filesystem compatible with all Unix apps
ext3- newer Linux filesystem with journaling easier to recover data with
ntfs- windows 2000 and up native filesystem
fat32- windows 95 through ME native filesystem
Gag- bootloader that loads into the MasterBootRecord on your primary master hdd
http://gag.sourceforge.net/
this will allow you to boot 9 different operating systems on one computer! Why
you would want to have that many is beyond me but it is handy ...you can hide
different drives by using the hide drive option so windows will think that it is in
control of its own computer by itself..... ignorance is bliss....

LETS GET STARTED
Ok let us begin
Installing Linux
Let us start with installing slackware 10 and use its very helpful utilities to create our partitions that we will be using. When you boot to the slackware cd follow the on screen instructions, you will come to a part where it asks you to setup you partitions on your hard drive(s) so lets do that now
with slackware i recommend cfdisk over fdisk because it is a little easier to use.
I am going to recommend 4 partitions for now.
Partition 1 (hda1) = ntfs. This will be for windows to work on.
Partition 2 (hda2) = fat32. This will be for transferring files between both operating
systems with ease. you only will need 1 or 2 gigs for this
Partition 3 (hda3) = ext2 or ext3. This will be your root drive for Linux
Partition 4 (hda4) = swap. This will be used for Linux as ram ...similiar to virtual ram
in windows. It is not required but is recommend by all to have
this twice the size as your ram i.e. 512 megs of ram 1024 megs of
swap space

ok now that you have your partitions setup you need to switch them to the correct types in cfdisk. Using the up and down arrows select each partition and switch them to their correct types
hda1= ntfs ...as long as it is ntfs it will work...you can even leave it as a raw partitions
hda2=fat32...you may also leave as raw
hda3=ext2 is the only option in cfdisk so just work with that ...you can change it later
in the installation
hda4=swap... simple enough just look for “swap” or “Linux swap” and type in the #

ok now select your Linux partition as bootable and write to your tables
once this is done you may exit cfdisk and start setup by typing “setup”

This is also self explanatory. When it asks you what do you want as a target partition it should automatically choose hda3 but if not make sure you do
it will recognize your hda4 as swap as well

now pick what you want to install... id say just go with the full install and get all that you can out of slackware because it is worth it
after install is done it will ask you what window manager to use ...pick one that you like but for newbs id recommend KDE or GNOME for both are windows like and are easy to use in the beginning.. KDE is best over all with it comes to configuring programs and hardware. But GNOME is can be as easy to use

after all this you will come to a part asking about LILO a.k.a LinuxLOader
pay attention here people
you may use the simple method to let it take care of itself but experts can customize it a little with none other then expert mode.
It will eventually ask you where you will like to install LILO...
MBR
root drive
floppy

make sure you choose root drive to install or gag will not work
[note]
if you mess up and put it on your MBR not all is lost but it will take a little work on getting is setup right again
[/note]

then you should configure your network if it hasn't done so already
and that is it for the Linux installing

Installing windows
Ok now after you reboot you drop in your windows system disc and install windows
when it comes to partitioning in the crude looking dos menu make sure you select the first partition or windows will get pissy on you
it will then install as usual and install itself to the MBR ..no need to worry tho this is ok

Installing Gag Bootloader
Were almost done folks
Take Gag which you should have downloaded and installed to a floppy and throw it into the floppy drive, take out all bootable cds and reboot your computer.
You will get to the Gag install menu
listing options 1-5
choose 4
this is just a RTFM statement ... press any key
if you have a standard keyboard choose 1 [don't ask me what these mean cause i honestly have no idea ...all i know is that 1 works with all standard keyboards]
choose your language.. F for English
now you should be at a menu with a “boot disk press 1” and “press s for settings”
now we need to add our operating sysytems ...press A for add systems
make sure you have your first hard drive selected by pressing 1
then press A ....this should select your windows operations systems
type a description up to 15 characters ....for demonstration i will use Winblows
now it will ask you if you wish to password protect your operating system ....press enter for none or type in one and press enter
now you get to choose what icon you want to represent that operating system....

their ya go for your windows OS
now lets add Linux

you should now be back at the settings menu
choose A again
then choose C
type a description
password
pick a pic
and their ya go

[if it ever asks you to switch drive letters choose no ...this would make partition 9 or something look like C: to windows ...being as windows is partition 1 it SHOULD be C:]

now save to hard disk ... if no error messages then your all setting

reboot your computer and pick an operating system

If you have any questions leave a post, I/m me on AIM or MSN hexadecimal00110 [msn just add @hotmail.com] or email me at hexadecimal@herzeleid.net [most used email account]

THIS IS MY REVISED ONE I DELETED THE FIRST CRAPPY ONE