Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dualboot windows and Linux *my first tut*

Blast From the Past
    oo my bad thats what happened
    thought i messed something up

il move it back
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

some ideas for your tut:

a) on a multi boot system, i use to put all bootable partitions first and all shared ones AFTER all bootables ones. It will save you from problems about "hiding" previous partitions. When any O.S. boots, multi software will hide all previous partitions ---- so "shared" partitions will allways appear.
    b) Explain better the circunventions when installing O.S. to avoid ovewriting multi-boot software. Some guys will get lost on your explanation and f... the system

anyway congrats. it will be a good tut after you do some "polish" recommended by other guys here.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Blast From the Past
    the way i wrote the tut was to have the linux install slightly different but not very and the windows install normal....then you install the multiboot software after all is said and done that way windows or linux doesnt over write it

im not good at teaching others at all....but im working on it....and the sad thing is that i can never write tuts cause everything i learn comes from tuts here......im working on it tho

p.s. props to negative....i had barly hit the ok button on submit new thread and it was already moved to this one....fasted mouse in the west

I just noticed something... You should have the swap be hda3 so that it will be closer to the center of the drive. This will make swap faster. Also, if it were me, I would mention that if you want a Win partition of over 10 GB, you should have approx a 7 GB NTFS as the first partition, then at the very end after everything else, make a storage partition. This will make Linux function a good bit faster.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Blast From the Past
    yea true grunt.....but honestly how much faster is it going to make it?....yea you gonna notice a few ms maby few secs of seek time but unless your doing something that constantly rlies on the hdd then it wouldnt matter much
    fyi to all who reads this tut i dont remember if i said but you can put these partations where ever you want....even spread them out amonst 2-3 hdds...its all up to you but id leave windows as the first partition...you have to screw with more options and if you have it on a second hdd you have to unplug the first one inorder to install!....well thats what happened to me and i did use the hide prartitions and change drive letter options in gag

if you know what your doing go ahead and do someting better but for newbs i would screw around with stuff too much.....just incase

thanks though for telling me this grunt id forgot to mention that

Actually... If you have like a 120 gig, and you make that first parition a good 90 GBs for windows, you can gain a good 3 or 4 seconds read time if you make that smaller and put your *nix swap and / partitions closer to the center.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Blast From the Past
    yea i know that....but i think you will be fine....most ppl dont have 120 gigs.....more like 20's 40's 80's maby....cause most of us are cheep......and if you dont have it in the middle or near the center of the drive its not gonna make or break your computer.....if it was required then most linux fdisk utils would put swap first...all the ones that i have used put them last
    and besides you dont use swap all that much....i was on my redhat machine running gkrellm and i saw the swap file move i think once in a week.....but im a home user...i bet a small networked server or even a big one would make better use of the swap file....
    all matter of opnion

It also depends very much on the amount of ram you have. If you have 128MB of ram and are running KDE/Gnome, a decent sized swap file will help a good bit.