Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have your box scanned with a summary of what is found

Have your box scanned with a summary of what is found

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Wanna know what information people scanning your box over the internet can recieve?

Follow the link above and it will take you to a site that will scan your box and give you a summary of what it discovers.

I got the url above off of www.wbglinks.net

gives you a list of ports open, closed or in stealth mode, what files you are sharing over the internet etc etc

-sorry fyre

Shields-up and grc's scans have been around for a multitude of years, I can remember when he first started and then a couple of years ago released his self-proclaimed "nano-scan". His site might give you which ports are open, but after that, I don't think they're too helpful. There are a couple of other sites that provided scans as well, here's the sygate one.

http://scan.sygate.com/

You can do your own scans using nmap for linux and it is ported for windows also. And of course there are other scanners out there as well. By doing it yourself it's an opportunity to learn.

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_download.html

Kudos for the thought though.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

here you can find some free tools (web based)

http://www.tatumweb.com/iptools.htm

that can be helpful on scanning too.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Yeah, I've been wondering about GRC. What kind of reputation does that hold in the security community? I've heard different opinions, but I'm really impressed that all his work seems to have been done with Assembly Language...That makes for crazy small programs, but you gotta be a frickin' genius to code in that!

grc.com and Steve Gibson get slammed often as he is very vocal about silly Microsoft programming choices. He jumped up and down about XP and RAW Sockets for some time.

He is also is own best cheerleader and that irks people.

The selfscan is fast and is a good tool for a quickie if you dont have access to a box to hit yourself with.

I think he is a pretty smart dude and a great writer when he can get out of his own way....

I have always loved this writeup about a DDOS attack againt his site....
    http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

SGS

That was amusing.. They basically repeated that they can't connect to netBIOS or any related ports and showed me that I have virtually no ports open or they are in "stealth" mode. Same for applications, etc. Very interesting, and shows I'm pretty well guarded against that type of riff raff.
    Space For Rent.. =]

well apparently my box is somewhat secure, most of my ports are stealthed and only 139 open for file sharing, outgoing only hahah!
    They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. (Janet Reno)

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We\'ve created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    well apparently my box is somewhat secure, most of my ports are stealthed and only 139 open for file sharing, outgoing only hahah!
    Would you care to elaborate on that statement.... You say in your profile that you are really a *nix type but you have "139 open for file sharing, outgoing only hahah"..... If grc can see that I would suggest that your hahaha might be an issue....

More details would be nice....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

i am a nix type. but i use xp home edition for my music. i use my doze box for fun and my 3 nix box's for learning. (I'm currently on my doze box)
    They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. (Janet Reno)

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We\'ve created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    What's your firewall?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides