Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have your box scanned with a summary of what is found

Originally posted here by chsh

All of his stuff reads like the Inquirer, but by and large he does know how to write assembly. Big deal, writing assembly doesn't make you a genius nor a security expert.

Yea, until today I had not been there in a while.
    The site does provide some comedy tho if you need to scratch the laugh itch.

I think he has some knowledge to share yet his approach will leave people on the respect fence.

SGS

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    WK:

wow. i'm not that stupid. i did setup the network you know
    Ma'am, with all due respect, if I had a dollar for everyone who had told me they know what they are doing when it comes to computers, networking and security I can assure you I wouldn't be typing here now.....

Furthermore, I believe it is important for me to be concise in the instructions I give so that others reading this thread who may not be at the same level of competence as yourself can work their way through it without making any mistakes..... fair enough?

You might also want to note that while you appear to be able to construct a network your understanding of firewalls and NAT seems to be a little "off target" shall we say.

For now, look at it this way. A firewall has two "zones". There is the external, (or on the Linksys the WAN), and the trusted. Anything plugged into the trusted ports is protected from the external _unless_ ports are forwarded from the external to machines on the trusted, which is sort of like punching a hole through your "wall". Machines on the trusted network are unaffected by the firewall and can communicate directly with each other without assistance from the firewall.

For those of you about to jump in and tell me about DMZ's etc..... Little steps, people.. little steps... I'm not writing a tutorial on firewalls here....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Big deal, writing assembly doesn't make you a genius nor a security expert.
    Maybe not to a pro like yourself, but to guys like me who barely survived Assembly Language class by the skin of his teeth, it's most impressive.

Steve held the opinion that "stealth" (no reply) was better than "closed" (reply that the port is closed). I personally made an effort to show to him that it really didn't matter as there are always ways to tell if a host is up or not.
    Yeah, I used to hold to his whole "stealth ports" thing until some of you guys around here started teaching me otherwise. I'm very curious to learn how you proved that some day...