Laptop monitor failure

Thread: Laptop monitor failure

Banned

Laptop monitor failure

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 and more and more frequently the monitor shuts off. I can fix the problem by depressing the switch that turns the monitor off when the laptop is folded up for just a moment.

The problem doesn't seem to have a catalyst I can pinpoint, it just fails... sometimes after the system has been on for hours, other times just a few minutes. Sometimes it will fail three or four times in a minute or two and then won't fail for a few hours.

This is, as I am sure you can imagine quite annoying. The OS is Windows 2000 Professional and power settings are correct and google has been unhelpful.

thanks,

catch

Just Another Geek
    Is it an external monitor or the buildin LCD?

Sounds like a hardware problem...have you tried calling Toshiba?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hmm the backlight inverter is failing.. transformor problem or electrolytic capacitors.. (BTW the Inverter is a circuit usualy in the lid/display portion of the laptop.. ) if warranty is OK.. Toshibas problem as commented by SirDice.. if not get quotes first..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    Yeah... it's a used laptop way outta warranty I fear.

The monitor is the builtin LCD... I suppose I'll have to talk to a repair shop... I was hoping something simple (like throwing it against the wall) would help, no such luck it seems.

thanks,

catch

Just Another Geek
    IIRC Toshiba gave a 3-5 year warranty on Tecras. You don't need the original receipt. All they need is the serial to check if it's still in warrenty.

I used to repair Toshibas. The Tecras were the worst to service
    You need to remove about 108 screws of 5 different sizes to be able to remove the mainboard You need the servicemanual to get it back together (and working) again
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.