Thread: Automated building of software

Ninja Code Monkey

Automated building of software

What type of automation do you use to build your software?

Do any of you have experience with makefiles or dealing with the gnu toolset (autoconf, automake, libtools)? Nant? Ant? Bash or other shell code? Perl?

Any implemented build verification tests and what kind?

This type of stuff may be useful for our less experienced users. I'll be writing some quick mini-tutorials on the subject soon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Re: Automated building of software

Originally posted here by Juridian
    What type of automation do you use to build your software?
    Five fingered automation.

Do any of you have experience with makefiles or dealing with the gnu toolset (autoconf, automake, libtools)?
    Any? Yes. Enough? No.

Nant?
    No.

Ant?
    Yes.

Bash or other shell code?
    Yes.

Perl?
    Yes.

Any implemented build verification tests and what kind?
    Since most of my work lately has been with java, and in the past with interpreted languages (Perl, PHP, ASP), not as much as I'd like. When I have done it, I've used some simple test scripts (vbs or bash) to run the app in a few different ways and ensure it executes without error. In one instance, I checked to ensure it failed under certain conditions.

This type of stuff may be useful for our less experienced users. I'll be writing some quick mini-tutorials on the subject soon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    As I've said elsewhere, I'm rusty on a lot of my compiled languages, so anything I would be interested in. A guide to makefiles with C++ might be good.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I do use any Automation, basicly because perl is my main, and pretty much only language.

I would be interested in reading Automation, on perl. Can't quite see how you would do it, but definately interested.