Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux - KDE and Gnome?

Linux - KDE and Gnome?

I was looking at SuSE Linux 9.1 because I am thinking of buying it, and have found out that it has two interfaces: KDE and Gnome. From the screenshots I've seen, KDE looks nicer, but that's about all I know. I have done some research but haven't been able to find any descriptive info. Can you please tell me the difference?

J_K9

have a look around these 2 sites below they will tell you everything you need to know about both gnome and kde. I personally use KDE as i prefer the feel of it as well as the apps/programs it has. It is really up to individual preference. I recommend trying one and then switching to the other and give it ago.... Try them both and see what one you prefer. AO could tell you which ones they like better but it is really what you find comfortable

http://www.gnome.org/

http://www.kde.org/

Thanks fyrewall for the sites. I'll try them out as you said!

J_K9

Just Another Geek
    I prefer to use Gnome mainly because I use pan and X-chat. I've found KDE abit overkill, too much crap I never use.

Just try them both to see which one you like.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Tnx Sir Dice. Also, should I get SuSE 9.1 Personal or Pro edition because Pro brings a lot more stuff.

J_K9

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by J_K9
    Tnx Sir Dice. Also, should I get SuSE 9.1 Personal or Pro edition because Pro brings a lot more stuff.
    Dunno, I'm a FreeBSD user myself. The last linux I used still had a 2.0 kernel.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by J_K9

J_K9
    To avoid suffering the same problem as regular windows user (install everything and most never use) i would rather consider to take a look on both and see what you WILL use for sure. Lets say on 1-2 years. Dont install anything that:

a) you dont know what is purpose
    b) you will never user

even if it is fancy feature/product.

Backing to interface, i prefer KDE. but, as other notice, it comes full of "extras". I think it resemble Windows... both both are good.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

KDE and Gnome SUCK IMO...
    I'll stick to blackbox, fvwm, fluxbox, IceWM, etc. I much prefer Window Mangers over Desktop Environments. Gnome and KDE make me feel like I'm in Windows XP but more bloated looking. Blackbox makes me feel like I'm in love.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

What is Blackbox TH? The site doesn't give a lot of info!!

J_K9

Originally posted here by SirDice
    I prefer to use Gnome mainly because I use pan and X-chat.
    This isn't really a valid reason, you can use both on both, provided the libraries for the alternate are installed.

Personally, I prefer KDE because of all the work they've done on sometimes erroneous stuff. Like the ioslaves which turn the process of ripping a CD of MP3s is as easy as putting the CD in and entering "audiocd:/" in konqueror, then copying the contents of the MP3 directory off to wherever you like.

I've always likened the two as trying to emulate Windows (KDE) and MacOS (Gnome), as that seems to be the way the interfacing is designed.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?