Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Pro vs. Home

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Ahhh well, looks like another brain fart for me
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I have used both in stand-alone machines and on small networked environments. For many things, especially home use in stand-alone mode with dial-up connection, I doubt that a person who wasn't used to XP Pro would be able to tell the difference. Personally, XP Home annoys me, because I always seem to want to do one of those things Pro will do and it won't. To be truthful, though, I usually don't really need to do whatever it is for simple home environments. One area that has come up for me, however, in a home environment was limiting access to certain household account folders for kids while allowing them as much freedom as possible to use and learn about the computer. This is easier with the additional security features of XP Pro.

Originally posted here by Irongeek
    This page will give yo more details http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp but some of the features that you might care about that Pro has that Home does not are:

Remote Desktop
    I believe you can use remote desktop on XP home. See here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx

This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

CXG is right. You can install RDP from CD. Its just a MS idea of "make diference..."
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Just a thought, since there is a huge price difference between XP Home and XP pro, and he is only going to be using this for typical everyday computer use at his house... why are we acting like his machine is going to be the next mission critical NASA server? He won't need a plethora of security features, not in depth networking options for Domain Controlling.

Let's be honest here. XP Home is limited on features, but mostly from features required by Professional services and workstations. XP Home, XP Pro. See the name? Sure, he won't be able to set l33t permissions on his files, but on his home computer does he really need to worry about it to that degree? He will still have a firewall, can still get a virus scanner, can still network to home computers (I KNOW it can, I use home everyday on a seperate machine), and preform everything a home machine is meant to. Play Games, browse the web safely, play music, video editing, server hosting, etc etc etc. Which is exactally what he wants to do.

Let him use Home, because it does the job for him. We need to stop mistaking people who just want to enjoy their computers and certain aspects of it for security gur's who want the top level of security even if it isn't nessessary and just for the hell of it.

Save money, use Home. It does what he needs.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Save money, use Home. It does what he needs.
    Nah ....... SELL the five copies you have, buy XP Pro, get some new S/W with the extra.

The reasoning behind this is simple: here [AO] we try to implement secure systems, and some/ most of us work in an IT environment. Learn XP Pro, implement it at home as you would at work.

I'm reading up Win2K3 server. I have Win2K3 as a 6 month trial, to start me off. I intend to purchase some additional boxes, and make me a home network. I would like to be able to set it to run as securly as possible.

At work I've just started a new job looking after school networks. I want a mirror system at home [only smaller, obviously] to allow me to play with settings etc, to make me a better player at work.

I can feel an off topic slant beginning, so I'll stop whilst I'm sort of still in the thread.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

The reasoning behind this is simple: here [AO] we try to implement secure systems, and some/ most of us work in an IT environment. Learn XP Pro, implement it at home as you would at work.
    Please don't tell me you are trying to say that you can't secure XP home as good as you can XP Pro. Because if that's the case, I'll begin my 14 paragraph reply.

I believe it all boils down to want and need.

My self, I have XP Home and have had it for the last 1 3/4 years and it has done every thing I have needed it for.
    Do I need XP Pro -- No, do I want XP Pro -- Yes, and I will upgrade to it eventually. I do want the ability to control user permissions, EFS, advanced networking tools and abilities -- but as a home user I don't need them. My wife is the only other person that uses my computer and she just plays spider solitary on it. The most networking I do is a small home network usually just for internet sharing, so I don't really need the advanced networking capabilities. And I really don't have anything I need to hide or super secure so EFS isn't really needed, and 3rd party applications can handle that very well also.

So why would I even consider spending an outragious amount of money to upgrade my system to Pro? Simple, I love gagets and gizmoes and want to be able to play with the more advanced features that Pro has. Its the same as why I want another box, and *nix, and another motorcycle, and even a new girlfriend or two( my wife kind of limits that last want btw).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

********** |ceWriterguy

XP Home/Pro

Greets to all you security types in this, my first post - I hope to learn lots from you.

On Winblows - We have to look at the reason Home was developed at all in the first place - keep in mind that the whole reason behind windows was an 'OS' for folks who can't use command line. Home is 'autopilot everything' - Pro was designed for folks who (presumably) can afford a Techie to set it up - so it gives more power to the user instead of trying to protect itself from him.

On the whole, Pro is always the best way to go if you're after security and power, and know a bit about what you're doing. Home, as previously stated here and in other posts, is good for peer to peer networking, and 'idiot proofed' operation.

Enough babble - I've this huge talent for overstating the obvious.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Please don't tell me you are trying to say that you can't secure XP home as good as you can XP Pro. Because if that's the case, I'll begin my 14 paragraph reply
    I'm not saying that XP Home cannot be secured.
    I'm saying that the Pro version gives you all the bells and whistles that are used in the workplace, and that (some/most) AO members work in an IT environment, and as such it is best to learn the full system, and implement it at work AND home.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone