Second Evidence of Water on Mars Found

Thread: Second Evidence of Water on Mars Found

Second Evidence of Water on Mars Found

Mars Rover Sniffs Out Signs of Water
    By Irene Mona Klotz, Discovery News

Aug. 19, 2004 After a tedious crawl across the desert floor and a slow, energy-strapped hike up hills, the Mars rover Spirit has finally rewarded scientists with tantalizing evidence of water at a second location on Mars.

"So far we have intriguing clues, hinting this rock has interacted with liquid water," said Steve Squyres, a Cornell University researcher who leads the rover science team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"We still need to understand the nature of that interaction, and better yet we need to understand if it was hot water, cold water, was it water in vapor phase, or was it really in the liquid phase."

Spirit finally set its drill bit into bedrock on Columbia Hills, a mineral-rich rise of land inside Gusev Crater where the rover landed more than seven months ago. Scientists believe the crater, which is bigger than Connecticut, once held a lake that might have been suitable for life to arise.

Initial studies around the landing site, however, proved fruitless.

Spirit's sister rover, Opportunity, landed three weeks later on the opposite side of the planet in an area known as Meridiani Planum and almost immediately found signs of an ancient salty sea. The rover is now inside a crater looking for information to help researchers determine how big the ocean was and how long it lasted.

Spirit's findings will take a while to analyze. The hints of past water come from high concentrations of sulphur, chlorine and bromine, which move easily in water, but also can migrate through volcanic gases, for example. The data came from analysis of an outcrop called Clovis, located about 30 feet (nine meters) above the desert plain.

"This is different from the rocks out on the plain, where we saw coatings and veins apparently due to effects of a small amount of water," said Squyres. "Here, we have a more thorough, deeper alteration, suggesting much more water."

Scientists are hoping to uncover evidence from rocks that were unaltered by whatever processes that occurred in Clovis, which is much softer than any rocks previously analyzed

"We have the 'after,' Squyres said. "Now we want the 'before.' If we're lucky, there may be rocks nearby that will give us that."

Opportunity also is giving the science team pause for thought. After carefully navigating down into a stadium-sized depression known as Endurance Crater, the rover has found a variation of the small, hard spheres that the science team nicknamed blueberries.

These particles have been found everywhere Opportunity has looked.

During a press conference on Wednesday, scientists announced they had discovered a new form of the blueberries throughout a reddish slab of rock called Bylot. The particles are rougher in texture, more varied in size and are the same color as the rock rather than gray.

"We really have no idea what this is," said Cornell University's Zoe Learner.
    Perhaps there are martians living under the surface
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--| <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I'm a sci-fi buff, and I'd love to see there be evidence of lichen or some other small organism still alive on Mars. Besides just the implications of blowing religion completely out of the'd just be neat. Might make me think that space travel out of this solar system could be possible, beyond the theories. I really don't think we'll find out whether there was water on Mars until we send people there to look. I mean we already know that there IS water....but was there liquid water? H20? Is there a layer of permafrost under the ground after so many dozen feet? If there is, would it be like seltzer because of the CO2? Maybe the canyons are still warm enough to produce misty water vapor when the sun hits it? Point is, it's all speculation....and I doubt it'll be anything more until people set foot on the planet. Robots only do so much...and the robots we produce don't do enough to answer our questions.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Bludgeon we know there was water on Mars what we need to know is if there is still water and possiably life of some form there. I agree with you that we really should have manned missions as there is no machine that can match a persons ability to interprete a totaly new enviroment.

It wouldn't have any real effect on religion as religion is based on faith and doesnt have to be proved.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

I agree with you that we really should have manned missions as there is no machine that can match a persons ability to interprete a totaly new enviroment.
    I agree with you and imagine the world cooperation back here on Earth and the advancement of science utilizing by products of technological research. However, do you remember the backlash Bush got for suggesting it?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.