Iraqi soccer players angered by Bush campaign ads featuring team
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi soccer players angered by Bush campaign ads featuring team

Iraqi soccer players angered by Bush campaign ads featuring team

Doesn't it seem like you should have someone's permission before you use them in an ad? And I really think this was a bad move on Bush's part, it just makes him look even more self-centered and unconcerned about world opinion than he already does.

PATRAS, Greece -- Iraqi midfielder Salih Sadir scored a goal here on Wednesday night, setting off a rousing celebration among the 1,500 Iraqi soccer supporters at Pampeloponnisiako Stadium. Though Iraq -- the surprise team of the Olympics -- would lose to Morocco 2-1, it hardly mattered as the Iraqis won Group D with a 2-1 record and now face Australia in the quarterfinals on Sunday.

Afterward, Sadir had a message for U.S. president George W. Bush, who is using the Iraqi Olympic team in his latest re-election campaign advertisements.

In those spots, the flags of Iraq and Afghanistan appear as a narrator says, "At this Olympics there will be two more free nations -- and two fewer terrorist regimes."

"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign," Sadir told SI.com through a translator, speaking calmly and directly. "He can find another way to advertise himself."

Ahmed Manajid, who played as a midfielder on Wednesday, had an even stronger response when asked about Bush's TV advertisement. "How will he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Manajid told me. "He has committed so many crimes."

The Bush campaign was contacted about the Iraqi soccer player's statements, but has yet to respond.

To a man, members of the Iraqi Olympic delegation say they are glad that former Olympic committee head Uday Hussein, who was responsible for the serial torture of Iraqi athletes and was killed four months after the U.S.-led coalition invaded Iraq in March 2003, is no longer in power.

But they also find it offensive that Bush is using their team for his own gain when they do not support his administration's actions in Iraq. "My problems are not with the American people," says Iraqi soccer coach Adnan Hamad. "They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy everything. The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the [national] stadium and there are shootings on the road?"

At a speech in Beaverton, Ore., last Friday, Bush attached himself to the Iraqi soccer team after its opening-game upset of Portugal. "The image of the Iraqi soccer team playing in this Olympics, it's fantastic, isn't it?" Bush said. "It wouldn't have been free if the United States had not acted."

Sadir, Wednesday's goal-scorer, used to be the star player for the professional soccer team in Najaf. In the city in which 20,000 fans used to fill the stadium and chant Sadir's name, U.S. and Iraqi forces have battled loyalists to rebel cleric Moktada al-Sadr for the past two weeks. Najaf lies in ruins.

"I want the violence and the war to go away from the city," says Sadir, 21. "We don't wish for the presence of Americans in our country. We want them to go away."

Manajid, 22, who nearly scored his own goal with a driven header on Wednesday, hails from the city of Fallujah. He says coalition forces killed Manajid's cousin, Omar Jabbar al-Aziz, who was fighting as an insurgent, and several of his friends. In fact, Manajid says, if he were not playing soccer he would "for sure" be fighting as part of the resistance.

"I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the people resist, does that mean they are terrorists?" Manajid says. "Everyone [in Fallujah] has been labeled a terrorist. These are all lies. Fallujah people are some of the best people in Iraq."

Everyone agrees that Iraq's soccer team is one of the Olympics' most remarkable stories. If the Iraqis beat Australia on Saturday -- which is entirely possible, given their performance so far -- they would reach the semifinals. Three of the four semifinalists will earn medals, a prospect that seemed unthinkable for Iraq before this tournament.

When the Games are over, though, Coach Hamad says, they will have to return home to a place where they fear walking the streets. "The war is not secure," says Hamad, 43. "Many people hate America now. The Americans have lost many people around the world--and that is what is happening in America also."

Link.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned
    *sigh*
    "Democratic Party aKa the Party of Pessimism holds true to its reputation yet again. "
    "Always turning a blind eye to positivity."
    "Bad news for America is good news for the Democrats."

Bush isn't using the "soccer" team he is using a reference to Iraq being in the Olympics. Outside of a pissed of Iraqi soccer player, what does the Iraq government say? I have been thinking of posting stories that are opposite of all the negative crap the mass media produces. In this one the player and the coach even mention the torture; yes TORTURE that Olympic athletes USED to go through.

... they are glad that former Olympic committee head Uday Hussein, who was responsible for the serial torture of Iraqi athletes ...
    So things puzzle me about who the real political motivators are? Since Iraqi soccer players aren’t over here watching TV, someone has to “prod” them. I could agree that Bush shouldn't use an ad saying Iraq has new freedoms if he actually used the team pictures or their names outside of a general “there are 2 more democracies in the world” attitude, or the Olympic symbols etc... Although it wouldn't bother me as much as it does some. The fact is there are 2 more democracies in the world, assuming their own people don’t destroy it from within. If those picture are of the real Iraq athletes and their committee or television agreements don’t allow it then I may think the add is unjustified. As it stands I like it. I think it says things the other side tries like hell to bury. The only place I could find the ad was on a Bush Site Be warned if you are a democrat this may just put you in the hospital.

Iraq's new "free" Olympic committee seems to like their new age of NON torture. The old one was dissolved when the IOC (the guys that run the whole show) launched an investigation into the paradise of Iraq that we destroyed. They figured torturing athletes wasn't good for the name of the Olympics I guess. That was one of the reasons they got such a cheer at this years opening ceremonies. They came back and under new management who were elected.

Now who is more self centered I wonder, me the soccer team, Bush, or Kerry? I am surprised no shocked that Americans would know what the Iraqi flag looks like unless someone told them but the ad actually says Iraq next to the flag.

Iraq's National Olympic Committee Good going Iraq. I have been tempted to buy an "Iraq is Back t-shirt" to support their team. Even though some, as noted, hate me.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    While the little ingrate now lives in a free country where he has a perfect right to say what he said I'll guarantee you he prefers the ability to say such things over the previous alternative he had as Uday's plaything.....

Given the simple choice of the two he'd much prefer being in a political ad than being in a coffin or on a torture table for not winning an Olympic gold.

Have a little persective Deb old gal.... It's propaganda.... and you are just lapping it up....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    I fail to see what the Democratic Party has to do with this, !mitationRust

Bush is lucky that he didn't use Beckham-footage, or the US would be bankrupt paying his fees

It could be said that you're lapping up Bush's propoganda just as fast Tiger Shark. It all depends on that perspective you talk about so often.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Deb: I'll freely admit that some may see me as right wing of Attila the Hun... But that's only because I look at everything, pick the holes in it and then see which hold the most water.... Generally, on most issues, those _not_ based on emotion or fear, tend to hold water better even after the holes have been picked in them.

Stuff like this is great for the drones... (the unthinking masses).... It shows an Iraqi national who has garnered a certain amount of "fame" criticizing the USA and Bush specifically. Makes it all look good if it is taken as a single entity. However things do not occur in isolation. In this case the alternative, (that was only briefly mentioned in the piece and, you will note either no-one asked the athelete which system he preferred to be playing under or they did and it wasn't reported.... wonder why on either question... modern journalism at it's peak.... ), was the potential for toture or death.

Why do you think the question wasn't asked or wasn't reported Deb?
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

The main issue here IMHO is did bushs advertising team get permission from the Iraqi football team or even olympic commity to use their image. Isnt that one of the your most basic civil rights being able to decide wheather or not your image is used to promote a political party or agenda you do not support?
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Well.... looking at the ad linked to by RoadClosed above and if that is the ad in question I would have to say that the soccer player has been misinformed by whoever told him that the soccer team is being used in the ad, (could it possibly have been a reporter with an axe to grind.... ), because the only sport shown in the ad is swimming......

wheather or not your image is used to promote a political party or agenda you do not support?
    Ah.... We should have asked Saddam for permission too then..... ROFLMAO.... Kerry should ask Bush for permission to use his picture..... These pictures are in the public domain..... The law doesn't apply.....

Probably means the ad was changed in the meantime. The more likely cause for the news item is a reporter who wanted the commission for its publication.
    As far as using the images of the olympics for a political ad campaign they still need permission from the olympic commity concerned.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)