Question about XP service pack 2...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about XP service pack 2...

AFLAAACKKK!!

Question about XP service pack 2...

I was gone for a week so I didn't download the service pack 2. I came back and went on my laptop to see the windows update icon in my system tray. I clicked on it to see that I can now download the service pack 2! I clicked download and I havn't seen anything that has anything to do with installing or nothing... I clicked on windows update in my start menu and it says:

To help protect your computer, Microsoft strongly recommends that you install Windows XP Service Pack 2. Learn more about what’s new for security in SP2.

Why am I being offered an update that I have previously hidden?
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 is an important update to help ensure customers stay secure and up-to-date. Microsoft highly recommends installing this update.

Download and install it now - Currently not available
    We are currently experiencing a high level of demand for Windows XP Service Pack 2, so please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you prefer to obtain SP2 another way, the easiest way to get Service Pack 2 is to turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP and it will be downloaded when you are connected to the Internet without you having to take any further action (how does Automatic Updates work?). You also can order SP2 on a CD. Download and install it now

You can use other programs while you wait. If the download is interrupted, it will resume the next time you connect to Windows Update.
    You can also enable Automatic Updates to download it for you or order SP2 on CD
    What to know before installing…
    Download and Install Now

Download and install it using Automatic Updates
    If you have Automatic Updates turned on, you don’t need to take any further action for SP2 to be downloaded to your computer while you are connected to the Internet. Depending on how long and how often you are connected to the Internet, it may take awhile before SP2 is fully downloaded. Once SP2 is completely downloaded from the Internet, you will be notified that it is ready to be installed on your computer. You can check your Automatic Updates setting on the Windows Update home page or by following the instructions on the Get computer updates page on the Microsoft Protect Your PC website.

Automatic Updates is the only way to download SP2 from Windows Update at this time. Other methods to install SP2 will be available soon.

Ok, well I copied the paragraph and pasted it here and it pasted a whoe page that wasn't visible lol. Now I'm very confused... I guess they are experienceing to high of a demand or something... ??

Is anyone else having this problem?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hi,

From what I understand they are limiting the number of concurrent downloads or downloads per day, not sure which, could be both in fact, I saw someone else mention it but can't find the post at the moment, I will post a link if I find it.

I haven't had the problem but I am using XP Pro and I believe the auto update for that will not be released till at least 26th Aug.

:edit:

here you go, they are capping the daily amount of downloads, they think it will take weeks for everyone to get it.

http://zdnet.com.com/Microsoft+sends...feed&subj=zdnn

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Thanks for the link, now I'm not so stressed
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

The Iceman Cometh
    UKnetSec's right in that SP2 will not be released to WindowsUpdate until next week. If you need it before then, just download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Haven't had any problems downloading from that link (even with the cap on downloads)

AJ

AO French Antique News Whore
    Sp2 is release to XP Home Only via WindowsUpdate since yesterday night! I also had a weird problem where it seem to start downloading it via WindowsUpdate and the icon just went away!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

If Microsoft was not being such a Jerk toward
    people posting it on different web servers
    I could post SP 2 on 4 different web servers
    on 4 different networks and it would get
    passed around much faster so right now
    I use a CD I burned or my laptop to get
    it to my corp. customers....
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Hi SDK,

Originally posted here by SDK
    Sp2 is release to XP Home Only via WindowsUpdate since yesterday night! I also had a weird problem where it seem to start downloading it via WindowsUpdate and the icon just went away!
    Maybe the icon will come back once it finally downloads the 77-266 MB of the service pack. I had the icon in my tray last night, but I figured I would wait to start the download over the weekend ... even over DSL, it's going to take a while.

Or maybe I'll burn it on a CD at work and use a tiny part of the bandwidth of my car to take it home

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

AO French Antique News Whore
    Na! I been checking my registry key and I'm not pending download! Doesn't really matter to me for my home box anyway and I got the network install for my job so I'm kicking ass!

Edit : I just check and my SUS server and it download SP2 Wesdesnday night. But the the 272mg version
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hi SDK,

Well, the weekend came and went, and I did try .. same result as you. The icon is gone, but nothing is a-happening. I wonder how I can get the icon to come back so that I can give it a second try ...

Something to play with this afternoon, me thinks.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Dead Man Walking
    If Microsoft was not being such a Jerk toward
    people posting it on different web servers
    I could post SP 2 on 4 different web servers
    on 4 different networks and it would get
    passed around much faster so right now
    I use a CD I burned or my laptop to get
    it to my corp. customers....
    There is a very valid reason for them "being a jerk" its thier propertyand therefore their responsability to make sure it gets to thier customers intact. To put it simpler, wich senario would you choose:
    1 MS controls the downloads and makes sure everybody that downloades SP2 isnt d/ling allsorts of other **** with it.
    or
    2 MS says hey anybody can host the D/L if they want. Some ub3r 1337 h4x0r gets ahold of it and start packaging other things in with the download. Then everybody goes crying to MS because the got messed up because they couldnt be patient.
    Now im a very big supporter of the open source movement but i gotta say i am behind MS 100% on thier decision to do this they way they did.