encryption

Thread: encryption

encryption

hello

i don't know much about encryption, all i see i firewall guides, etc. i did already read some posts and some questions about it.
    is it possible to use encryption that would let me work at the same time, im sure you didn't understand what i asked hehe, for example, i use chat software that saves .log files with all messages, is there any way to keep those files encrypted while using the software (writing the .log files at the same time) or another example, software like "emule" (for microsot windows) it saves .part files, and if i want to encrypt them will i have to remove the encryption to resume them? isn't there another simple solution?
    i found a nice software called "axcrypt" but it only works in microsoft windows, i need something that also works in linux, because i use both operating systems.
    another question that i have is if encryption works the same way or if there is anything that changes in the hard drive file system, i mean, if i have a ext2 partition is there any other solution? i ask this because i don't work with ntfs, only fat32 where i have microsoft windows 98 second edition and where i save all my data that i wanted to encrypt.
    my problem is that i lost both my computers and now who ever has them, can access all the data in my hard drives, what i really want is a way to make sure that the data in my hard drives can't be read if they are removed from my computer or by someone that can access them when im not around or by network.

thanks for your time!

Banned
    i use chat software that saves .log files with all messages, is there any way to keep those files encrypted while using the software (writing the .log files at the same time) or another example, software like "emule" (for microsot windows) it saves .part files, and if i want to encrypt them will i have to remove the encryption to resume them? isn't there another simple solution?
    If the chat program supports encryption, yes. You could write a program to do it for you, otherwise, I don't think so. Encrypting the parts has the same response as the previous question.

-Cheers-

You may want to look into an encrypted filesystem to suit your needs. A while back I used a encrypted filesystem on my /home partition that required you to put in a password on bootup. Not the most secure if you walk away and leave it logged in, but its better than nothing. Both Linux and Windows are capable of using encrypted filesystems and here are a few links to get you started in the right direction.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/cryptfs.mspx

http://arg0.net/users/vgough/encfs.html

or if you want to go with a solution that costs you a bit of money this may be of interest.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/68b7/
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

thanks for your replays

syini666: that hard drive looks sweet! "encrypted filesystem" are a bit strange, i only use microsoft windows 98 second edition in a fat32 partition, i think theres no solution.
    thanks!

look at what i also found, what do you think? http://www.micro-solutions.com/produ...kbox/index.asp
    thing

Well, for windows there is cryptainer . I imagine if you are dual booting *nix and windows it would work as long as you have NTFS file support built into your nix partition. I haven't tried it that way though.

"i only use microsoft windows 98 second edition in a fat32 partition" ... and slackware linux 10
    thing