Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the point of owning more than one box?

Room for one more...

1. Something for my 5yr old to play Blues Clues on.
    2. If I want to upgrade everything tomorrow... I have a spare to use until I figure out what I messed up.
    3. Spare parts are a "good thing".
    4. Hubby has his toys...I have mine.
    5. Makes a sturdy doorstop if needed.

CXGJarrod out of curiousity, what are you running on your Server? What distro? Does it ever seem like your running slow with only a p3?

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    CXGJarrod out of curiousity, what are you running on your Server? What distro? Does it ever seem like your running slow with only a p3?
    I have run Win2k Server and SUSE 9 on it with no problems (it also came with Redhat installed on it, but it was not on for long). Pages load reasonably fast and it never seems like the system is slow with only the dual p3 700's. I am running 2 personal websites and one website for a friends records company. I get a decent amount of traffic and have not recieved any complaints.

Edit: The thing that probably slows the server down the most is its connection to the net, which is 1.5mb down and 133k up. (Which it speed tests at 1.1 down and 200k up)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have a Dell PowerEdge 4300 w/ Dual P3-450. Not a bad machine for active website hosting. My net connection is horrible though.

My kicking rig is a Dual AthlonXP-M (35watt) 2400+ running at a slick 2.45GHz. Too bad my HDDs aren't up to the task of feeding the processors well. I might eventually get a SCSI controller and steal a drive or two off of my server to keep it happy. I'd like RAID-0 w/ two 36GB drives, but that is a lot of $$$ out of pocket.

I also have a P3 - 800. My mom uses a ThinkPad laptop. My dad uses a Sony Vaio laptop. And my little bro uses an AMD-K6-2 300 system. I might give him some P3 loving some time.

Originally posted here by Tim_axe
    I have a Dell PowerEdge 4300 w/ Dual P3-450. Not a bad machine for active website hosting. My net connection is horrible though.
    Tim: Those Dell Poweredges are workhorse servers huh? Mine is big and heavy as hell, but it keeps on running. My only issue with it is if you stand it up one of the processors does not work. (Probably a loose connector holding the processor in) Works great on its side though. What OS are you running on it?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Heck yeah it is big and heavy. I don't know where they put the lead bricks in its 3ft deep x 1.5ft tall x 1ft wide case.

Mine works well standing up. Probably a loose connector though. Mine has some big side pannel that pushes the heatsink/processor into the slot. Passive cooling with huge aluminum heatsinks, and the air flow isn't too bad. Start up is loud as my SCSI drives spin up, and all of the fans go to max.

Runs RH9 and Win2K I think. When the hard drives decide to go (I've lost ~2 so far), I'll probably try another shot at Gentoo or something.

BTW, here is a pic of the outside. I won't post pics of the inside until I clean it up (dust bunny breeding grounds). Which will probably not happen for a while with house repair and other projects going on...

Nice pic! I will have to take some of mine soon and I will post. Mine has the aluminum heatsinks with a huge "duct" to direct air from the huge 120 MM fan in the back of the case. (Can hear the fans from that server when you enter the house) You have to take the whole side of the case off to get inside. (which involves pulling down the front od the server) The 4 SCSI drives in mine are doing well.

Offtopic: Are those riding boots on the right? You ride off road bikes or quads?

One of your processors stops working? That's odd, we have a number of PowerEdges here (you may recall my talking my about them), but they're all running upright without any issues thus far.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    One of your processors stops working? That's odd, we have a number of PowerEdges here (you may recall my talking my about them), but they're all running upright without any issues thus far.
    Yep. If you stand this server up the correct way then the processor dies. The problem is the plastic part that holds the processor into place.

Processor looks like this: http://www.intel.com/support/process...miii/index.htm

Small one at bottom(Pentium III processors in the S.E.C.C./S.E.C.C.2 package type). (Crappy picture I know) I think that the processor moves when the server stands up and then refuses to work. Works fine on its side though.

Edit: Better picture here

I am running 2 personal websites and one website for a friends records company. I get a decent amount of traffic and have not recieved any complaints.
    [off topic] Haha, interestingly enough I help promote/advertise my friends record company. [/off topic]
    Space For Rent.. =]