Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of owning more than one box?

I hate dual-booting!

So although ATM I only have my Gentoo-sporting laptop, the other box used to be my dad's though I used it for back-ups. I want to 'restore' an older computer to the state of a server and back-up machine... for trying out new OSes I use VMWare although there are limits to that too.
    /\\

I have several reasons that I have more than one. I am going to say more than one OS, but explain, when you dual boot, you have to use of HDD space, I personally don't want to do that, the next thing, is that you have to shut down one when you want to run the other.

Another reason is that I run one as my server, one with a distro without X,

One with a distro with X.

One as a test box, that I put all untrusted code on, and anything I play around with. (This is soon going to be 2 boxes for this, one linux and one windows.)

The other one is for just straight destruction, I use it to test and see just how many people will hit my box. I have had fun, telling people how stupid they are. (You learn a lot doing this.)

I have 2 laptops.

I also have little setup that I have with my boxes, there are 2 on one side and 2 on the other with the server in the middle.

I love having more than one box.

Also a really good thing, that you can do when you have more than one box, you can test out your code on more than one computer. Which is something I do often.

Hey Hey,

There are many reasons to use multiple boxes... many of which have already been mentioned. You mentioned dual-booting for multiple OSs... a more convenient way would be to just use VMWare or VirtualPC...

Anyways I have several boxes, in fact, too many boxes.. .I just gave a few away... They're use varies and I require all of them.

1. Windows XP (AMD XP 2500+) - My Desktop... modern games, chat, surfing, word processing
    2. Windows XP (Celeron 2.2Ghz) - My Laptop... School and Work
    3. SuSE 9.1 (Pentium II 350Mhz) - Server... IRC Server, FTP Server, Web Server, SSHD
    4. Windows 98 (Pentium II 350Mhz) - Gaming Machine... older games that won't run on new fast processors
    5. Various (Pentium II 350Mhz) - Test Machine... Test spyware, viruses, or anything else I want to play with

It's very beneficial to have a second machine, especially if one of them craps out.. I remember when VX2.ABetterInternet first came out... If I hadn't had a second machine handy I would have been screwed and confused as all hell...

Peace,
    HT

HA! My GF asks the same question...

Why do you need ANOTHER one?!

Because I can?

I have a xp pro box for everday use.
    xp laptop for travel, camera, gps, wireless, etc.
    Linux server file, http, ssh
    2k Server with AD and such. file/print/dns/sus/etc
    misc box that I use as a testing box (gets loaded/reloaded often)

several other boxes that family members use... 2 more 2k boxes and 2 more xp home boxes

several boxes stacked in my closet that I have no freaking idea what to do with them yet...
    I'm sure snort will go on one of them someday soon...

several routers... who says its dumb to have several subnets at home?

I can open any attachement/file/etc I want on that box... its on its own network... and its blocked from my real network.

I also like to have my wireless devices on a separate subnet. one for 802.11x and one for bluetooth.

all my switches are unmanaged... so who cares about those?
    one hub... just because... I'll need it when I get this snort box up.

Several boxes of assorted hardware... too much to list.. but enough to build a couple more boxes.

Not like you really care... but hey, you asked.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

To be honest, my ultimate goal is to have my core 5 and then 7 more, a new one to use everyday. You don't want to know why.

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    To be honest, my ultimate goal is to have my core 5 and then 7 more, a new one to use everyday. You don't want to know why.
    If you want to switch up your collection of pr0n... just get a bigger hard drive..
    Isn't that why they created playlists?
    You don't need a new box for each rotation...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks everybody for posting. As I see there is a wide variety of answers and reasons why you might want more than one box! I'm sure there are a few more, but thanks those that have posted!

J_K9

hmmm.... more than one box... it heats my computer room for free!

Well this is the current setup at my house:

Dell Poweredge 2300 Dually p3 700 - Webserver, FTP, email server
    AMD 2500+ - Main rig for all my computing needs
    AMD Athlon 1300 Mghz - SUSE 9 computer
    AMD Duron 800 - test machine - This gets every OS I want to try out on it.
    IBM 300GL - Win 98 - Old games machine - Some older games will not run on faster hardware so that is my older games machine.

So having a box for different purposes is a good thing! Also, most of them contribute to some distributed computing project or another so all the boxes help out there.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

SImple answer... gotta have one for each family member. Otherwise I'd never get to use one. Also make it easy to have LAN parties. "Sure, come on over. No, you don't need to bring a computer. Just sit down and play."

since i hate (too) dual boot, i have:

1) firewall (smoothwall)
    2) Test box - Winxp - runs p2p, virtual pc and vmware. I use to install linux under virtual machines. Its also runs my web server under linux (apache+mysql+php). My son uses it also for gaming.
    3) production - Only serious stuff there - including my games
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.