Setting up a home network

Thread: Setting up a home network

The Prancing Pirate

Setting up a home network

If I wanted to set up a home network, what components (apart from the boxes, duh!) would I need to buy? This is for a home network of about 4 boxes.

J_K9

P.S I don't have ADSL. Too expensive where I live!
    TAZForum <---- click

Banned
    Depends over what you wanna connect it with, power lines ? Phone lines ? wireless ? etc...

You'll need a network adapter ... D-link, Linksys or whatever your chpice is !

The Ethernet kind of network is the most used one, you can either use 2 NIC cards (depends how many computer u want) and cables or use hubs, routers and such !

Ethernet has many advantages:

* It is the fastest home-networking technology (100 Mbps).
    * It can be inexpensive if the computers are close to one another.
    * It is extremely reliable.
    * It is easy to maintain after it is set up.
    * The number of devices that can be connected is virtually unlimited.
    * There is a great deal of technical support and information available.

And a few disadvantages:

* If you have more than two computers, you'll need additional equipment.
    * It can be expensive if wiring and jacks need to be installed.
    * Set-up and configuration can be difficult.
    * The technical jargon and the number of options can be confusing.
    Basicly you buy the NIC cards and cat5 cables (those are easier to set up than coax ones, and connect them to each computer and the other end of the cable you connect to the hub ! The hub serves to send signals between the computers. The hub is need if you want to connect more than 2 computers, if not you can directly connect the computers to each NIC card and no hub is needed !

Thats the best way for you to go i think, i may be wrong, im not that good in networking anyways, i used google for the pro's and con's in the quote. You can also use google to look for different types of networks and how to set them up !

Or this website...

Building a home network from scratch:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le62-page1.php

The Prancing Pirate
    Thanks Lipton for the info and link.

<EDIT>

One more thing, if you have a network of say 4 boxes, and 3 of them are switched off, with the one's that's on can you access the data of the other three (turned off) boxes?

</EDIT>

J_K9
    TAZForum <---- click

Banned
    ne more thing, if you have a network of say 4 boxes, and 3 of them are switched off, with the one's that's on can you access the data of the other three (turned off) boxes?
    No, since there is no power to run the hard drives, you can't access the data on them !

Buw if you didnt know, you can Map drives on a network giving you easier access to them (like a direct link on the desktop) so you dont have to go to MS-HOME - &gt;Computer One - &gt; C:\ or w/e letter.

Just right click the My Network Places icon on your desktop and click map Network drive, locate it and click Finish...

Hope i helped you somewhat !