msconfig on win2000

Thread: msconfig on win2000

Banned

msconfig on win2000

Can anyone give me a alternative of msconfig in win2k so that I can stop some starting up software pls.

I don't want third party util, Is there anything I do manually?

unless you got msconfig from windows xp then you shouldn't have it on your windows 2000 box. do a search here on AO you need it because i have posted it twice now, otherwise, you can manually do it by removing stuff from the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

also, check your startup folder since some software is started by that.
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I think that msconfig is a useful utility.
    Why they didn't include it with windows 2000? I don't know...

I have copied it over on most of my boxes.

If you need a copy of it, let us know. We can attach one.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Why they didn't include it with windows 2000? I don't know...
    The general consensus seems to be that Win2k wasn't aimed at the home user. The task therefore falls to the admin to do stuff......

Of course, since the Win98 version and the WinXP version both work in Win2k I wonder why M$ decided that admins would have more fun digging around the registry, then going to startup folder, etc. etc. etc. rather then just pulling up a perfectly functional msconfig and doing the task all in one place....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

You can always use the Startup Control Panel, which I have used on many boxes.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    Phisophreek80, your name sounds quite interesting,dunno what

But It could be gr8, if you can attach that,here

I wouldn't impressed with third part utility though, So far I iunderstand only the regedit is last resort right?

Originally posted here by rajunpl
    I wouldn't impressed with third part utility though, So far I iunderstand only the regedit is last resort right?
    Did you look at the third party tool and not like it? Or did you even try it? Its free and easy so it should solve your problem.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

yes, regedit is a last resort, here is the file (since apparently you didn't do a search) just for everyone's info, attached is the NEWEST version of msconfig -- i believe it is the one that comes with sp2 but either way it works with win2k (tested b4 shipped )
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Banned
    Thanks djscribble, I downloaded it.