Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Brother?

Big Brother?

I recently married a Cuban doctor and we had been trading emails. She writes me from Cuba using either her Yahoo acct. or the .cu ISP, I have a sbcglobal acct through Yahoo and use their mail program. Six weeks ago her emails stopped.I tested my emails by writing her daily and she receives each and every one. I receive other emails from friends of mine in Cuba, without problems regularly. I had her try six different locations to send her emails using still her Yahoo and .cu accts. I received nothing from her. Yesterday I had her send me an email to my Google beta acct. (thinking that if it was my big brother then they would be able to keep an easy record as gmail saves all emails and of course I have nothing to hide I just want to talk with my wife)..I received 2 emails from her one from the Yahoo address and one from the .cu address.
    Naturally I am a little parinoid. But I would like to get to the bottom of this and I prefer not to hopscotch around addresses so I can talk to my wife. My thought at first was that it was the Cubans blocking but now I am begining to think it is my big brother not hers. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can investigate and correct this problem? Thanks.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    You could try contacting your ISP and telling them what's happening. Tell them your situation ~ that you're not receiving emails you know are being sent to you, and see what they say. Maybe they have a block on communications coming from cuba for whatever reason (trade embargo, etc.).

Can't hurt to ask, though...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I could but I am receiving other emails from Cuba without problem including those with a different Yahoo and .cu address, on the averege of 7 to 10 per week... Thanks!!

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    I had that happen to me also form my friend living in Austria. It could be that her emails are going in the junk mail folder instead of the normal inbox folder. Also it could be a block on communications like '11001001' said. Its like when mail comes to me from overseas its always open. Since my family is German<my father,born in augsburg> and my mothers family from frankfurt am main) I guess they feel threatened..........?!! It depends if yahoo lets big brother on their servers or not?

**//edit..
    change your password! Maybe your brother guessed it! Its not very hard especailly since he's related to you, unless you have a strong password and your sure that he didn't install a keylogger

Thanks Kurt, The problem is that for two months I communicated with her and suddenly POOF nothing.. So something has changed... and my other friends emails come through fine.I have also checked the other catagories (besides my inbox)regularly so they are definately not getting to any part of my email.

oh yeah cuba king-congrats on the marrage! also read what I put abouve in my edit

edit--well add on--

you should also thank 11001001 !

kurt I was under the impression that when cubaking was refering to his "big Brother" the inference was to the Book 1984.
    out side of that I am of no use in this thread. hope it sorts out for you cubaking..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Und3ertak3r ---yes but then he says ""my"" big brother!!!!! So I took it both ways.

Yes Gentlemen Big Brother that I refer to is the goverment. the "my" is the U.S. as opposed to the Cubans. An American might jump to the conclusion that the Cuban goverment is somehow restricting my wife's emails. However, I suspect everyone equally including my goverment the U.S. In this case it seems more likely that it is the U.S. than the Cubans doing the restricting,if indeed a goverment agency is to blame.Thank you all for your imput and giving me the opportunity to make this clear..

I don't think the Cubans really care about your wifes emails sense they are just talk. At least I hope But our government "the US" is getting jumpy over the past year over the littlist of things.! Or it could be a Yahoo server clitch, ip packet misroute etc. You could also have a keylogger or trojan but that wouldn't effect just your wifes?......umm. Could it be that your wife isn't writing emails to you intill you tell her? No offense meant! Just ideas.