Thread: Yahoo! Messenger

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Yahoo! Messenger

Quick Question Folks~

Does anyone know offhand if Yahoo! Messenger keeps logs by default?

If so, where are they / what are they called?

Thanks in advance!

-Jim
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I'm not sure if they're on by default. They should be in your yahoo folder. Do a search in there for *.log files and see what you find.

Off yahoo's help site:

Archiving Instant Messages:

With the latest version of Yahoo! Messenger, you can automatically save a history of all your instant messages, alerts, and conferences.

First, download the latest version of Messenger by visiting the Yahoo Messenger! download site. After downloading and installing, follow these steps:

To configure archiving:

1. Click the Login menu, select Preferences, then select the Archive category.
    2. Place a check next to Enable Archiving (if there is not one there already).
    3. Place a check in the box next to each item that you would like to archive. At this time, you can only archive IMs, alerts, and/or conferences.
    4. If you would like to automatically delete archives after a certain number of days, place a check in the box next to Automatically delete files older than....
    5. Press OK when finished.

To view your archive:

1. Click the Tools menu and select Message Archive.
    2. A new window called "Message Archive for {your ID}" should appear. If you have chosen to archive messages, alerts, and conferences, you should see three folders on the left side of this new window. Each archived message is stored in a folder under the ID of the person who sent you the message.

Under the Message menu in the archive, you can reply to, save, and print messages, as well as view your archiving preferences.

Under the Edit menu in the archive, you can copy messages to your clipboard or delete messages.

Under the View menu in the archive, you can show timestamps on your messages or view the messages in rich text (this means that the messages will show graphics, color, etc.)

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

what kind of Logs are we talking about.........There is a Mesage Archiver which if enabled stores all conversations...........you can see that in the Contact menu Options....Uer Profiles are stored in the regestry and C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles folder you can see who has logged in because there is a folder named after every ID that you have logged in from ........ is that it .....

--Good Luck--

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Sorry about no being clear, guys... It's been a crazy day...

Anyway, I am looking for conversation logs - who talked to who when
    and message archives - locally saved conversations.

Unfortunately, I don't have messenger installed on my box at work, which is why I can't just go in and search.

[EDIT] Also, I'd need to know the actual file names, not just how to access them through Y!Messenger.[/EDIT]

Thank you both for your help!
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

BANNED
    It's going to be under C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\yourusernamehere\Archive\Messages\username
    username being the name of the person you were talking too.
    And the file extension is a .DAT
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    I viewed the .dat files before but how does one make sense of it? Its a bunch of giberish.

Here you go Kurt, I think this might be what you are looking for. Hope it helps.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Super...-10303088.html