Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote shutdown

Remote shutdown

i am connected to my friend on a network, both using windows 2000 how can i prevent him from remote shutdown on my computer?

BANNED
    To disable a service:

* Click Start
    * Click Settings
    * Click Control Panel
    * Double click Services
    * Select the service you want to modify
    * Click the Startup button
    * Select Disabled or Manual under Startup Type
    Look for Shutdown.exe. I'm not on 2000 so I'm not exactly sure this will work. I just searched around and peiced together a solution for you. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll try and figure something else out.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Originally posted here by muert0
    To disable a service:

* Click Start
    * Click Settings
    * Click Control Panel
    * Double click Services
    * Select the service you want to modify
    * Click the Startup button
    * Select Disabled or Manual under Startup Type
    Look for Shutdown.exe. I'm not on 2000 so I'm not exactly sure this will work. I just searched around and peiced together a solution for you. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll try and figure something else out.
    going to services.msc which service to turn off to prevent remote shutdown what's the service name

Elite Hacker
    Also I know in winXP pro there is a group policy or something to disable that, but I'm not sure for 2k. And I think setting an admin pass will do it. But the most basic way is to put up a firewall. I'm pretty sure that will stop it, if it doesn't I'd be worried. Peace.

Originally posted here by h3r3tic
    Also I know in winXP pro there is a group policy or something to disable that, but I'm not sure for 2k. And I think setting an admin pass will do it. But the most basic way is to put up a firewall. I'm pretty sure that will stop it, if it doesn't I'd be worried. Peace.
    what i want is to prevent other people from remote shutting down my computer, applying a group policy afaik it seems to be restricting only the local computer security settings.

you could also from command prompt type

shutdown /a

that will abort a system shutdown (works for XP, I assume 2k aswell)

Originally posted here by fyrewall
    you could also from command prompt type

shutdown /a

that will abort a system shutdown (works for XP, I assume 2k aswell)
    well i did that... but it says that i do not have suffficent rights to do that. suppose i can do any IP filtering?

Elite Hacker
    Ok, this is XP pro, but it at least sounds like you had a group policy editor, so I'll post this pic hoping it's the same. Also, was the firewall suggestion no good? Peace.

Originally posted here by h3r3tic
    Ok, this is XP pro, but it at least sounds like you had a group policy editor, so I'll post this pic hoping it's the same. Also, was the firewall suggestion no good? Peace.
    I checked the settings it is only for Administrators

Simply go to Start, Settings, Control, Administrative Tools, Service and hit the stop button and switch Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locater to manual and make sure I forget look at your running services and switch Remote Desktop off and to manual also if the service is in the Services window.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg