Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question

Cool Silly question

What is meant by "c" being portable

Relating to or being software that can run on two or more kinds of computers or with two or more kinds of operating systems

Thanks

thanks

as Fidato already said, C is a programming language which is used (and useable) on almost every OS, therefor it is portable.

however, there are specific functions in C that are specific for windows or specific for linux, this is why a virus/trojan doesn't work on both windows AND linux, for instance the network functions (to create a socket), are different in windows and in linux, and without networkfunctions a virus/trojan wouldn't be much of a virus/trojan, would it?!

and since most virusses are written for windows, you don't have to be afraid that they will work on linux too, that's one of the reasons why most security-people run there computers on linux.

i know this isn't exactly what you asked, but i thought this would explain things...

however, there are specific functions in C that are specific for windows or specific for linux, this is why a virus/trojan doesn't work on both windows AND linux, for instance the network functions (to create a socket), are different in windows and in linux, and without networkfunctions a virus/trojan wouldn't be much of a virus/trojan, would it?!
    Actually your wrong. But since I am not in the mood to explain it all to you. I will link to you.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...5&pagenumber=1

and since most virusses are written for windows, you don't have to be afraid that they will work on linux too, that's one of the reasons why most security-people run there computers on linux.
    You do know that there are linux viruses right?

Actually your wrong. But since I am not in the mood to explain it all to you. I will link to you.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...mp;pagenumber=1
    i've read the thread, but this still doesn't say that you can use the winsock() funtion in linux C... and as far as my knowledge goes, there isn't another way to use sockets in windows..(but perhaps i'm wrong, and if i'm wrong, i would like to know more about this )

You do know that there are linux viruses right?
    like i said MOST virusses, yes i do know there are linux virusses, why else would there be antvirus software for linux

why else would there be antvirus software for linux
    To my knowledge there is no AV software that scans linux machines for viruses. All I have seen is AV software that runs on linux that checks all the other win boxes on a network or scans emails for viruses (mailserver).
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

There's ClamAV. It runs on Linux and checks Linux filesystems.

Good find! Now my knowledge has increased
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

there should be another one too, i've read about it recently, but i forgot the name, but very soon (one of these days) i'm going to install gentoo on my notebook (dual boot with XP pro sp2) and i'm going to install AV on it when it is ready.