Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silly question

Re: Silly question

Originally posted here by LordWire
    What is meant by "c" being portable
    As Lepeicaun said, it is were you can take C code written for one operating system and and modify it so it can run on another operating system.

(Example: Taking a source code written for Windows, and modify it so it will work on the Mac.)

For example, if we were to look at this code

Code:
    void main()
    {
    system("cls");
    }
    This application would run fine on a Windows/Dos system, but when I compile and run the same code on my Slackware system I would get an error because the command "cls" is not a valid Bash command. In order to get this code to work on Linux I would need to modify it (port it) to Linux and change the system("cls"); part to system("clear"); as shown below

Code:
    void main()
    {
    system("clear");
    }
    and then it would work without problems on Linux. I hope this explains it. I more then likely confused you. I would do a quick search on Google and look up the term "Porting" and "Port Code" and you should find a definition you should understand.

-- {Jellybelly}

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    To my knowledge there is no AV software that scans linux machines for viruses. All I have seen is AV software that runs on linux that checks all the other win boxes on a network or scans emails for viruses (mailserver).
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus. They have it for linux servers, primarily Mail and File servers, but it can be configured to scan the entire machine for viruses.

Oh, and you can also write portable C in mind. For almost any language being ported to multiple platforms this has to be kept in mind -- even with Java, although Java has tools that way ease portability.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?