Thread: Bush Should Listen To His Elders

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Bush Should Listen To His Elders

A lesson not learned

In his memoirs, "A World Transformed," written five years ago, George Bush Sr. wrote the following explanation of why he did NOT go after Saddam Hussein at the end of the Gulf War.

Trying to eliminate Saddam...would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible.... We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq....There was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our principles.

Furthermore, we had been consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land."
    If only George W could read. I have heard fairly frequent rumors that Bush Sr. does not approve of George W's policies and is completely against his Iraq and "War on Terror" policies, but that he bites his tongue to support his son and his party.

I hate that sort of blanket party support though. Being in a political party should not mean that you lose common sense or the right to your own opinion. So- Bush Sr. sits back and watches the country fall apart under his son, and Senator McCain refuses to speak out or challenge the administration while voicing his support from behind gritted teeth and a fake smile.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Bearing in mind that Gulf 1 was the result of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.
    With the alliance formed around a UN mandate, the option to take Iraq was not a reality then.

Gulf 2 was the result of 9/11, and the war on terrorism, Iraq had been goading the west for years, with regard to how he was the only leader from Gulf 1 STILL in power.

When the US took Afghanistan within a matter of weeks, the writing was on the wall for Iraq, and was also the [probable] reason for North Korea to start rattling the sabes re:- nukes.

Saddam paid the price for trying to play the big boy games, when he had nothing to back him up............

As for his WMD; HE was the one who started the whole mess off, buying nuclear power plant technology from our good friends, the French [don't get me started again]. And the Germans.

The Israeli attack on this site can be seen as the pivot upon which this whole area has spun.

Now there can be no turning back, no pretending that it can all be swept under the carpet and no stopping now until ALL the threats have been identified AND neutralised.

I believe that given a similar set of circumstances, Bush Snr would have put the USMC into Baghdad, and done pretty much as junior has done.......
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

as long as were talking beliefs here foxy...i believe we'd be doing the same thing no matter which party was elected. its the only sane thing to do. nobody is condemming the war, well nobody in power anyway, just the way its being run and we'd be hearing that no matter which side was running it. that's just politics. the only people that are 'against the war' are those that listen to the retoric. if kerry gets elected the only thing that will change is the people saying its being done all wrong. were still going to face off with iran and n korea. in that order. its something that must be done
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Sad but true:
    This world will be a VERY different place in the coming years.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

NEw American Century is a right wing group, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz are a part of it among others, there is some starting stuff as far as dating that hints the invasion of Iraq and occupance had long been desired, before 9/11.
    http://www.newamericancentury.org/Re...asDefenses.pdf
    www.newamericancentury.org
    Also, doing some research on the Bilderbergers is intresting.

Had Bush Sr. finished the job, this wouldn't even be an issue now.

I will surmise that if Bush Jr. had followed in Bush Sr.'s footsteps, sure, our troops would be home, but history repeates, and Saddam would lead us into Gulf War III with a future president years later.

At least this way, the vicious cycle is ending.