Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: audio problem

Question audio problem

i just recently was given a computer for free. Its not a bad computer but it has on board sound. From it i get a Lot of noise from the other drives. I can hear them all spinning.
    I was woundering if there was any way that i could cheeply fix that problem. Any ideas?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Mo/Bo sound is not too bad, especially as you got the set for free.
    Noisy drives:
    From it i get a Lot of noise from the other drives. I can hear them all spinning.
    If you can hear the drive/s they are probably on the way out, and could be the reason why the set was given away.............

Cheapest solution: earplugs
    Next best: save up for a new HDD.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Its not that... I can only hear them when the speakers are turned on and there is no sound playing from them. when the speakers are off then i cant hear the noise. And its not just the drives the noise. When you move the mouse you can hear the noise to. Any ideas?

Tried different speakers?
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Actually i have tried differnt speakers.. i went out and bought a 2.1 for it and im kinda pissed that it didnt change a thing. i just want to know if there is a way i can get away without buying a card for it.

What MoBo and BIOS are you using?

Is the system speaker enabled?................I vaguely remember something like this. The system speaker was disabled and everything came through the external speakers............that was quite noisy.

I don't see how you can hear the drives through the speakers though..............where is the microphone to pick the sound up?

See if you can borrow some different speakers and still get the noise, also check the system speaker.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the speakers, or the jack plug, or motherboard connection.

If possible try it with a PCI soundcard and disable the on-board sound in the BIOS.

Just a few thoughts

EDIT: ok so the speakers must be OK, that still leaves the system speaker status and the jack point on the MoBo

You know i dont know what kind of mobo i am using but i dont have a mic. and its all turned on the system speakers work.... and i tried hooking the speakers to another computer and i didnt get the noise......
    so i dont know...

Hi,

By system speaker I mean a device about 1" to 2" across that attaches to the MoBo with a double twisted wire and is usually screwed to the case.

If you boot with your external speakers off, do you get any beeps from the BIOS. If you do, then your system speaker is connected.

You might try disconnecting it, if this is the case.

Also see if you can borrow a sound card..............I wouldn't buy one until you know that it will work.

Cheers

EDIT: The system speaker is relatively weak, so less prone to feedback from the MoBo and other devices.................this could explain why you don't hear anything from it, but I wonder if it is activated.

yeah i get a beep... but i guess ill just try to see if i can steal the one out of my dads computer to test... =D .... thanks for the advice

If you are getting a beep then your system speaker is connected.

You might try disconnecting it from the motherboard.

Cheers