Thread: Ai?

Lightbulb AI?

I'm new to AntiOnline and this is my first post, so as way of an introduction I thought I'd share some thoughts that I have had due to a number of recent films.

After seeing "I, Robot" and "The Matrix", I began to think, what is AI? I know that the dictionary deffinition is that it is the "abbreviation of artificial intelligence" and that the dictionary deffinition of artificial intelligence is "the performance by computer systems of tasks normally requiring human intelligence.

Although my point is what does this actually mean? From the deffinition, artificial intelligence could mean anything, as it only states that the computer system has to perform a task that 'normally' requires human intelligence, it does not say that the computer system has to have the intelligence of a human to have AI.

Films such as "I, Robot" and "The Matrix" would have us believe that if a computer has AI then it is as intelligent as a human, and therefore can take-over the world . Whereas microsoft create games, such as Conflict: Desert Storm, and advertise them as having AI. I quote "Unprecedented AI governs enemy and squad behaviour". Although when we see statements such as the one above we don't contemplate that this game could take over the world or do our homework or pass a degree or that the game is as intelligent as ourselves.

If you take the actual words that AI abbreviates, artificial and intelligence. The dictionary deffinition of artificial is "made as a copy of something natural" and the dictionary deffinition of intelligence is "the ability to aquire and apply knowledge and skills". Therefore as a copy doesn't have to be exact and a computer system can aquire knowledge and skills and then apply them to certain situations, as instructed by the programmer without being as intelligent as a human. I think that we could create two abbreviations with different deffinitions to cover the different interpretations of AI. The first would be AI which still stands for artificial intelligence, although now only covers what MS was talking about, the kind of intelligence where a computer system learns knowledge and applys it to certain situations as instructed by the programmer and the computer system isn't able go beyond the original programming. The second would be IA which would stand for intelligent artificials and this would cover the kind of fictional intelligence that is used in films such as "I, Robot" and "The Matrix".

btw, thanx for reading this post and hi there everyone.

********** |ceWriterguy
    (vague area indeed! good post.) From what I've seen, AI isn't as much 'thinking machines' as it is machines that can 'learn'. True AI cannot exist with the technology we have today, for we cannot incorporate the ability to reason into a machine. There's no real way to program machines with enough fuzzy logic to grant such a gift. As for learning, yes. From simple chess programs that learn how to whip your butt repeatedly even on the easiest levels, to the games you mentioned, there *are* self-programming programs. I think this might be what folks refer to when they're mentioning AI these days. Kinda unsure myself tho...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

New York, New York
    Nice post it seems as you have gathered all your facts and opinions.
    Artificial Inteligence, from what I understand, is a computer/machine which attempt to reproduce the thoughts and/or actions of a human being.

AI = Artificual Intelegence..
    Heck i thought it meant something else..
    {Put on your thinking cap and think Dirty for a minute }

Anyhow to me AI meant Artificually, as in some scientist in a lab playing God with something that he shouldn't be playing God with..
    And Itelligence is something that you get from studying and applying the things you've learnt to everyday things..
    And Artificial Inteligence could go by many different meanings as you have so cleverly shown TTAYO.
    So you could ask this question to everyone that you meet in life, and i'm sure that each person will most likely give a different opinion on this subject as we all would think that it means something different, well i know that i think things mean totally different to what other's might think..

Oh and sorry about the spelling mistakes, my thinking cap is at the Dry Cleaners

United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Hi Front2~

I know what you mean about AI................I bet the sheep down there are real nervous when you are around

What is known as AI today probably is not, in the truest sense of the term. We tend to call machines that "learn" AI, they are not, they have been programmed with algorithms and a database, and they use the algorithms to interpret the database. They have the capability of adding to the database, but not the algorithms. A classic example would be the chess playing machine. It can learn new move sequences and probable outcomes, but the laws of chess are fixed.

My personal view is that it is the difference between "interpolation" and "extrapolation" Current "AI" systems interpolate from a set of known outcomes, using a fixed set of algorithms. Extrapolation requires observation of events, interpreting them using known outcomes and rules, then determining if the observations belong within the population (statistical) of known results, and if not, deriving new algorithms that fit the new actual observations. In other words, it is capable of making up "new rules"

OH DEAR!.................I seem to be crediting politicians with AI

AI is a large are of IT. Nowadays, you can split AI in three "types"

NN - Neural Networks
    GA - Genetic Algorithms
    FL - Fuzzy Logic

When you look at "Artificial" you must think about "not natural", because its a machine and (of course can be natural". Also you cant compare inteligences; you just cant compare a human an a dog, for example. So, as AI, its just a diferent "inteligence".

You can find good stuff o Internet about the three subjects above, but i can talk a little about 2 of them.

NN - Those structures has the ability to "learn" from past experiences. Of course, they have a limited scope due to tecnology restrictions. They have a "fixed logic" (its not exactly true, but fits as a limited explanation) but they can adapt to new stuff just learning on data. Most sucessfull NN must be trained. Its a like a dog that you train to make "tricks" (im not sure if is the right word in english). You must to practice (train the NN) until it starts to give you the correct results.

GA - Using a kind of statistics, GA can adapt LOGIC to solve problems. GA can true generate logic, but nowadays it still in a limited scope. Take a look on "GA" and "Lisp". I wrote a paper about using GA to adjust traffic on an IP Wan network, trying to balance seveal workloads thru several paths. That set of programs change its internal logic (limited scope) to try to adjust to new workloads. As i did it in VB, its not good as in other languages (lazzy programmer here)

AI can add "inteligence" to the machines, but i dont think (short-medium term) that it will add "human behavior" to them. Just smarter machines maybe.. No HAL at this time. (who remembers "HAL"?)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

LA, CA
    The interesting thing about AI is that we constantly are redefining what it is. Back when studies began a list of items was created as to what an AI machine could do, and as each item on the list was accomplished it was realized that they had not defined AI correctly so they rewrote it, and continue to rewrite it.
    If you told someone fifty years ago that one day people could tell a machine who they wanted to speak to and the machine would call that person such as modern cell phones do, or that an unmanned plane could fly a mission on its own, that programs could write lines of their own code, things such as this would paint the picture of the computers thinking for themselves. Do computers think for themselves? I think it depends on what you define think as, is human thought just a type of chemical reaction causing events to occur based on how the brain is formed and due to what environments interact with it? like how a CPU is shaped to allow electrical reactions causing events and due to the types of stimuli (such as user input and programs) act a certain way? Or is creativity part of what you define thinking as, emotion, dreams, i think we may someday get to AI but in a way we're already there
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Blast From the Past
    i have heard the term Fuzzy logic before...but no idea what it im off to hacker jargon and google to search up on it now...AI is present in many viruses if you think about it...polymorphic viruses that change their code a little bit at a time to hide what they are...PERSONALY i dont think we are too far off from making AI a true statement of the word....but then again....the human brain in its self is soo complex and the mind *mental not physical* is even more laugh tho if they made AI with split-personality disorder
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I think the basic principle behind fuzzy logic's basically working with different 'degrees' as opposed to the binary 0's and 1's...considering the classic example of a washing machine based on fuzzy'd detect levels of cleanliness rather than just a simple on/off mechanism
    Getting back to AI reason it's a b*tch is cos it's extremely difficult to incorporate human movement,senses AND brain functions(both memory and the capacity to learn) into something not involving a huge amount of circuitry...the brain(controller)'d be a piece of art lol