Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - A future Reality?

er0k

Star Trek - A future Reality?

You all know how they teleport people in star trek, and various sci-fi stories, etc: now they have successfully teleported a photon of light - without destroying it and over a long distance. This is amazing - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3576594.stm

They have to start someplace. Look how radio started with just a spark gap and now we have TV, radar, AM, FM, sideband (DSB-USB-LSB) and even XM (radio). And not that awful long ago either.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Just a little bit of star trek trivia. The teleportation system in star trek was developped because Gene Rodenberry couldnt figure out a believable way to get his starships to land on a planet so he decided to beam the crew up.
    The important part of this experiment is that is was achived outside of a laboratory enviorment. Also while this is not teleportation in the star trek sense it is the transfert of charateristics between two particles and as Moxnix said they have to start somewhere. It will be interesting to see how this developpes in the futur.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

The magic of quantum physics hehe. This has been done before, (in 1998 I believe) a photon was 'teleported' over a distance of a few feet I think.

There's some complications with teleporting things larger than photons let alone transporting human beings. As the object being 'teleported' is not actually transported but a replica is created and the original is destroyed it would be difficult to achieve the perfect replication of a human being. Nevertheless this will be eventually possible.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

This is amazing, even though it's not really being teleported outside of a contained transmission media, in this case fibre. Transfering the state or "polarity" over large distances at the speed of light could make computing today seem like toys. No less than toys. Imagine what a program could do - operating using a global network of fiber connections and processing data at or near the speed of light. Add in reduced instructon technology and I can see it now, future beings will "teleport" using satellite beams back to this moment in time to destroy the experiment.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

The first teleportation of a proton coverd the distance of about a centimeter if I recall correctly. The problem is that due to radial convergence you only have a one in four chance of getting the teleported proton reassembled correctly, unless some serious advances have been made since I last looked into the experimentation.

There are also some theological concerns because the proton is not really teleported, rather an exact duplicate is created at the other end, and the original proton is destroyed. If this were a human and since teleportation would involve destroying the original, the question becomes, "Is the copy the "same" as the destroyed original?" Heavy questions.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by MURACU
    Just a little bit of star trek trivia. The teleportation system in star trek was developped because Gene Rodenberry couldnt figure out a believable way to get his starships to land on a planet so he decided to beam the crew up.
    Follow-up:

It was not only believability, but production costs. It would have cost too much money to have the ship land on the surface of a planet every week, which also contributed to the development of the transporters. This is also why it was so rare to see a shuttlecraft on the show...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Lol you are right, film a shuttle model or take a shot of a trasnporter room filled with people, then one where they aren't there. Then fade it in or out. Much cheaper. Plus it would not have been as much fun not seeing Bones get all rattled up about his body getting broken down and reassembled.

I did not realize in this experiment the "old" state was destroyed after it was teleported. Need some more info on that. Can anyone sum it up? Does changing the state back to a pre-existing condition constitute destruction or is it really destroyed?

This is more like other science fiction genre stories at present. If I said "Ansible" who would know what I am talking about? That seems more likely since there is so much information in a human body it would take 200 million or so years to transmit the data, even if we increase current bandwidth ability to be 99 million times faster than it is today it would still take a million years.

For instance according to one source a body of a particluar weight has: 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms. All arranged in a particular way that make a single entity live and breath and think. (there is another one for the creationists, one way or another it's a damn miracle. ) So you have to transmit the atoms, data to define their arrangement in a container (human body) and THEN the data that defines where in space and time it exists and then move it to another and calcualte it. Nothing is still in the Universe. So if you do some math is staggering, 200 millions years worth. Assuming I am on the right track.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Here you go Road. I hope it isn't too deep. The last line is what really sum's up your question.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~qoptics/teleport.html
    In quantum teleportation, an unknown quantum state is faithfully transferred from a sender (Alice) to a receiver (Bob). To perform the teleportation, Alice and Bob must have a classical communication channel and must also share quantum entanglement -- in the protocol we employ*, each possesses one half of a two-particle entangled state. Alice makes an appropriate projective measurement (Bell measurement) of the unknown state together with her component of the shared entangled state. The result of this measurement is a random piece of classical information which Alice sends to Bob over their classical communication channel. Bob uses this information to choose a unitary transformation which he performs on his component of the shared entangled state, thus transforming it into an output state identical to the original (unknown) input. Notice that the input state is destroyed by Alice's projective measurement, so that teleportation does not result in "cloning" of a quantum state.
    (*Teleportation protocol of C. H. Bennett et al., PRL 70, 1895 (1993).)
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

I hope the aliens on that future looks like T'Pol and not like Spock, Arnold S.,,, :P
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.